Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

We use the Pet Armour that walmart carries, it has the exact same ingredients as frontline, has saved me hundreds of dollars this summer and has worked great! I will keep using it as long as it works!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't use Sargent or Hartz or any of the other "cheaper" flea/tick stuff. Waaaay too many scary stories.

I use an essential oils blend for flea/tick prevention, since I've see very few ticks and I've never seen a flea around here. If it was needed, I would use Frontline.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Now you can get K9 Advantix in bulk http://www.amazon.com/Advantix-Flea-..._petsupplies_2
Have you used this product?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Felurian

Aleron, I've used the Advantix II, which is the same flea product but has an additional ingredient for mosquitoes, ticks, etc. I switched to the Advantix line after the Frontline quit working for me, on the advice of my vet. The dogs seemed to tolerate it better, too. They all had some irritation with Frontline, especially Shiva.

Well, Kharma didn't. I think she's related to Wolverine.

I'm definitely going to order the bulk Advantix as soon as I can though. I really like being able to control the dosage especially. I'm not crazy about using this kind of stuff but the fleas are horrible here right now and I don't see them letting up until way into the winter.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Aleron, I've used the Advantix II, which is the same flea product but has an additional ingredient for mosquitoes, ticks, etc. I switched to the Advantix line after the Frontline quit working for me, on the advice of my vet. The dogs seemed to tolerate it better, too. They all had some irritation with Frontline, especially Shiva.

Well, Kharma didn't. I think she's related to Wolverine.

I'm definitely going to order the bulk Advantix as soon as I can though. I really like being able to control the dosage especially. I'm not crazy about using this kind of stuff but the fleas are horrible here right now and I don't see them letting up until way into the winter.
I was just curious if you had experience with the bulk product. It's a great price!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I've used Adams stuff from Walmart, it does work. Dogs didn't seem to like it, but they didn't like the Frontline spray either. I could see it killing the fleas, and they stayed dead, just like the Frontline spray.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Resident fainting goat

I've been too scared to try anything generic... I've used k9 advantix because frontline just DOES NOT work in Miami for some reason. The fleas treat it like it's just water.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 PM
and Fozzie B!

My friend's APBT had seizures after applying Sargeants. Saving the money isn't worth it when your dog gets sick and you have huge vet bills.

That said, Advantix gave Fozzie a serious rash and dandruff/hairloss all the way down his back where I applied it. The only thing that hasn't produced any reactions is Frontline, so that's the only preventative I keep around. And ONLY if they really need it! The most cost effective and safe way to prevent fleas and ticks are natural remedies and keeping your dogs super healthy. Regular baths with dawn, a healthy diet preferably raw, and plenty of omega 3s are important. I add minced garlic to their meals in the summer. Brewer's yeast works too. When I'm taking them to the river or other places where fleas and ticks are, I spritz them with lavender oil. Fleas & ticks aren't particularly rampant around here.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 PM
overdogged

Some of them are safe, some are not. Some are effective, some are not. If you read labels, there are OTC flea products on the shelves that don't actually kill adult fleas. Some of them have terrifyingly high concentrations of known carcinogens.

I've seen dogs (and cats- cats tend to be more sensitive to neurological effects) with tremors, with seizures, with chemical burns. I've not seen any of these things from Frontline, Advantage, Advantix.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?