Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Top Dog

Men thinking women are property isn't some religious notion. I know plenty of men, most of whom are atheists/agnostic, and they treat women like objects to be owned and controlled.

And what the Bible says exactly about sex within a marriage:

Quote:
1 Corinthians 7:3-4 NIV

3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife.
So sure, I could get on my high horse and start screaming how the Bible tells women to fullfil her marital duty to her husband and yield the authority of her body over to her husband, and I guarantee you I will have the feminists in an uproar. But you must read the ENTIRE passage! It says that each should do the same for the other! Thus it can be said that it's an equal stand.

You can't just pick and choose the words from a passage, reformat them into a new sentence, and start proclaiming it as "truth". You must acknowledge ALL the words, and do so in the order those words are written. Then feel free to make your decision regarding the passage, but for goodness sake, give credit where credit is due.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 AM
PSD Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I very much think you are a professional victim- I won't deny that. It doesn't matter if I like you or not. Everything you do and say keeps you down as a victim. Instead of always posting about how 'mistreated' you were, it may be more beneficial to rise above it all and do something about your life. You don't HAVE to be a victim. No one owes you anything.

Especially by reading how Romy talks about being LDS, I have a hard time believing that the entire religion is the way you paint it.
Considering all I have been through and over come I very much see myself as a survivor and not a victim. Just because you don't like how I talk does not make what you think I think of myself true. You see me as a proffesional victim. I see myself as a survivor and am very proud in many respects on how much I have over come and where my life is now. And no not everything I do or say keeps me down. That is how you, someone who has never met me, takes what I say. Which is your own personal definition. It is not how my friends see me. Many see me as an inspiration on many regaurds and though I personally would not go that far in how I view myself, I do try my best to help those who have been through similar things or who are going through hard times as well. So in my view I have risen above most of it. Am I perfect? Nope. Do I try every day to help others and have a better day? Yes. Do I always succeed? Nope. Do my disabilities hinder me in a lot of areas? On many occasions they do. But I do try each day and that is all anyone can ask of themselves. I use my experiences to help others who may be in similar circumstances, and have helped many that way. And will continue to do so. It is not meant to keep me down as you put it. I see myself as being able to rise even higher above it because I no longer rug sweep what I have survived and instead use it as an example for others.

And no a polititian is a proffesional liar so why would they paint the true picture of their faith that dictates a lot of their values?

Anyway that is all I am posting on this. So you keep your opinion of me and I will continue to live my life as the survivor I see myself as. Have a good day all.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Men thinking women are property isn't some religious notion. I know plenty of men, most of whom are atheists/agnostic, and they treat women like objects to be owned and controlled.
Exactly.

It's easier to latch onto religion as a cause of abuse. If a Catholic husband beats his wife, it's because the bible "says" men have control over their wives. If an LDS father abuses his kids, ALL mormons are bad and it's a terrible religion.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

I have a friend who was mormon. They were insanely against control of any kind.

They did say the man was the leader but I'd like to see any of those guys stand up and say it to their wives XD

Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Felurian

I've always thought that part of the problem LDS members face is getting tagged in with the hardcore crazies.

Other sects are lucky. Imagine if Baptists were all viewed through the Westboro Baptist lens? Or all Catholics were equated with Torquemada? Or Muslims with Al Qaeda . . . oh, wait . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

One of my old coworkers/friends is mormon. He was about the most lax, easygoing, awesome person ever. Highly doubt he was going home to beat his wife and children every night

And if he did, well he was REALLY good at hiding it considering he rented the other half of a duplex from my sister, who only ever reported hearing giggling/excited screams from their 6 kids, lol.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Sport Model Pug

The mormons I've met have been nothing but friendly, and I live in a densely mormon populated area. There isn't a hint of man owning their women domination stuff. It's very equal and the women in the community are valued and respected. The mormons that I know have been far less condemning to homosexuals than any catholic authority figures I have encountered (and remember, I went to catholic school).

People are free to believe or not believe whatever they want, but it's when they force it on others especially in the form of laws that it angers me. Keep religion out of the government, it has no business being there.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
The mormons I've met have been nothing but friendly, and I live in a densely mormon populated area. There isn't a hint of man owning their women domination stuff. It's very equal and the women in the community are valued and respected. The mormons that I know have been far less condemning to homosexuals than any catholic authority figures I have encountered (and remember, I went to catholic school).

People are free to believe or not believe whatever they want, but it's when they force it on others especially in the form of laws that it angers me. Keep religion out of the government, it has no business being there.
This.

I don't live in an area with many mormons, but every mormon I've met has been nothing but friendly, relaxed, and family oriented. One of Ian's good friends from travel hockey as a kid was mormon, and Ian said his family was AWESOME. His parents were the type of people who would do anything for their kids, and they were just very loving.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Felurian

The only unpleasant experience I've ever had with a member of the LDS was when I was 18 and ran the service desk at WalMart. There was a pair of missionaries who would come in every night at 5 minutes until close, wait until I was the only register open and come through with something for around $5 and pay for it all in loose change -- mostly pennies.

And laugh about it.

They had a wallet full of bills.

After the fourth night in a row I refused to run the transaction with the change.

That had nothing to do with their religion -- they were just obnoxious (barely) post adolescent twits! I've met quite a few other missionaries and they've all been incredibly courteous, well-spoken and non-pushy, totally unlike the door knockers from the other sects!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

I have had experiences with Mormons where there is an issue with women, but I will not say that it represents the faith as a whole. Then again, the version of Catholicism I grew up with and lived with is very different from the "typical" ideas about it. The Catholics I grew up with were all very liberal, tolerant, accepting, etc. We also fought for women prients