Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-08-2012, 12:58 AM
Taxiderpy

I was lucky because Kaia still ate their poo after they switched to solids. Also, it's summer so they got to go straight outside and play in their puppy yard all day long getting all grassy and dirty like puppies should. I don't know how people handle big winter litters, that would insane.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 AM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I was lucky because Kaia still ate their poo after they switched to solids. Also, it's summer so they got to go straight outside and play in their puppy yard all day long getting all grassy and dirty like puppies should. I don't know how people handle big winter litters, that would insane.
This next litter will be my first dealing with sand outside instead of lawn. It should be "interesting."
Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Top Dog

With the foster litter, I had a huge box of old computer paper (the stuff with the holes on the sides in long sheets) and sat and shredded bags and bags of it. That worked quite well as bedding and when they started to move, added a shavings section for bathroom duties.

I liked it because when it got dirty, it was just tossed out and replaced, no laundry to do. It was nice and deep but not so bad that the pups got tangled up really since it wasn't long shreds.

Not sure if I'd do it again, debating, have a good year and a half at least to even think of it. Then again thinking about 'reusable whelping box that's solid' and 'cardboard boxes that are recycled afterwards so no germies.... hmmm....
Old 08-08-2012, 02:10 AM
Taxiderpy

I loved having a solid whelping box. It was really well designed with nice TALL sides, so kept them from climbing out until they were three weeks old. That was super handy. After than an X pen gave me another week before they had to spend days outside.

My guys would have destroyed a cardboard whelping box within minutes. Plus you can't wash cardboard, so it would really start to stink. Puppies love to poo-paint. It's not hard to sterilize sealed wood. Just bleach water and you're good.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
This next litter will be my first dealing with sand outside instead of lawn. It should be "interesting."
I should take pictures of the prairie dog town the borzois dug in their sand pit. Be prepared for your dogs to have no white.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Unless its a public park frequented by dogs I wouldn't worry.
I'm not sure I could allow unvaccinated puppies outside on surfaces that can't be sanitized ever again. My litter that got Parvo never left our property but were outside a great deal, as they were mid-summer puppies. Pravo is not solely a concern of places where people take dogs, it's found in most environments. I've become rather paranoid about Parvo after those puppies got it. My puppies are now kept indoors or allowed outside only in an expen on the deck, after the deck has been bleached and covered with a blanket. Every person who comes into the house spays their shoes with bleach, takes them off and leaves them at the door, washes their hands and arms and depending on where they came from changes clothes before interacting with the puppies - every time.

My puppies have all been born in plastic wading pools. I always offered blankets at first but my girls never like them in the pool with the pups, so after the first day or so I just stop offering them. Never had an issue with the surface but then, by 3 weeks they're usually out of the box and have to be moved to a puppy room:

Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
So they're not on it 24/7 though?
When they are awake they spend most of their time running around the kitchen. I litterbox train them as soon as they are toddling about so cleanliness isn't a big deal. They go back into the puppy pen (also located in the kitchen) for naps and overnight. A quick mopping after each play session keeps everything clean and fresh smelling.

Quote:
And what of grass and going outside? I was on youtube some time ago and saw a video of 3-4 week old puppies playing outside in the grass, more natural surface if you ask me, but as to the argument of germs, hmm...?
Basenji puppies are born in the winter so their time outside is restricted by the weather. If it isn't too cold I will put little homemade sweaters on them and let them play a while in my yard.

Last edited by YodelDogs; 08-14-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:31 PM
and Fozzie B!

I was REALLY bothered by the barren, hard surface and edges of the whelping area too. It just looks too sterile - and not comfortable. I don't buy the excuse of bacteria, as that would not be an issue if the blankets/bedding were being changed and cleaned frequently! Just the floor needs to be cleaned frequently!

I had never heard of hard floors in the whelping area causing HD. That's awful.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I was REALLY bothered by the barren, hard surface and edges of the whelping area too. It just looks too sterile - and not comfortable. I don't buy the excuse of bacteria, as that would not be an issue if the blankets/bedding were being changed and cleaned frequently! Just the floor needs to be cleaned frequently!
And I have known puppies who were killed or seriously injured from getting caught up in blankets in the whelping box. There is risk to everything, most breeders do what they feel is best based on their experience and what has worked for them.