This year's ART UNLEASHED donations

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
IT's that time of year for Art Unleashed fundraiser for the Greater Kansas City Humane Society.

I hopefully have three, but these two are ready to go and going to get in by the deadline for once which is in two days. Taffy will just have to be late so she probably won't be on the website. I do hope she fires well for the auction. She is in the gas kiln now.
Here is Sleeping Pointer and Old Dog with a Heart of Gold
i wanted to express my sincere appreciation of our seniors and what a glory they are in our lives.

Sleeping pointer is white stoneware and red iron oxide fired to cone 10 in a gas kiln

This old Sweetie is white stoneware with as much mica as I could get the surface to take fired in a raku kiln to 05 and then touched with a torch to lighten around the eyes and muzzle.
Taffy...I have my fingers crossed for you. She bisque fired without a crack. I used iron oxide on her and made her bowl Zak's blue. I hope she works because Taffy is one of the dogs up for adoption and they really encourage the artists to do these dogs and cats.

I finished this for the third time to replace the broken top of the Totem I donated last year. They had moved the totem to a more public place in Crown Center. In the process they snapped the leg of of the top. I put my heart and soul into that totem and did not want anything glued on it, so I made it once again, for the third and hopefully forever last time. Will deliver on the ninth.
Off my desk and off my conscience. Yay

I will come back to this thread when the Auction is over. This is I think my 10th year but it might be longer, I have lost track. This is my gala event of the year. I try to give them my very best to show my gratitude for all their good work, and the not for profit clinic that makes it possible for me to have my dogs and Sancho. They sure helped Neccy and kept it down to where I could help her too. THere was no one else that would have been there for us.

I might throw in a bird, haven't decided yet.

ACooper

Very nice smkie! But then I knew it would be before I opened the thread ;)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Here are some of the other donations by people that have it a lot more together than I do. I tried really hard to get things done early and still I am against the edge. I don't know why that happens. At least I have one excuse, my medium takes forever to dry correctly and has to have 2 firings which can be weeks apart but it's still no excuse. There will be many more added very soon.
https://humanesocietykc.ejoinme.org/MyEvents/2012ArtUnleashed/Catalog/tabid/389019/Default.aspx

Red Chrome

Do you take commissions? I want a couple of my dogs done like those. So very gorgeous.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Sorry due to health reasons this is done on a small scale for charity only.
Thank you all for the kind words.

I resized that second pic. I don't know why photobucket does that to me, makes me crazy. Going back to do it yet again.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I just love their expressions Smkie. Beautiful, beautiful work - as always.

Barb04

Super Moderator
As usual, those are awesome Smkie. I hope they do very well at the auction.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
ONe day I will make one with the look that Neccy Beccy gives me when she is full of humor and playing her "prank". She stands with her head cocked turned towards me, butt facing me, her muzzle almost to her shoulder, you can see the whites of her eyes for she has her eyes rolled to the side, and she is just about to "skitter" down the sidewalk. Every day I see it and think THAT is what I want to do. It always makes me feel happy inside to see her not only happy but more than that. For an old girl, and one that has suffered so much, that look is priceless. I would also love to capture Victor's alligator look which is his full of mirth and oneryness. Those will be my next two goals I think.
I am sick of being sick, I am tired of the whole business of it, but as long as I can still get my donations in I feel like I am still doing what I am suppose to be doing. I said last year that I was going to do old dogs and I did. I knew what I wanted to do just as soon as I had finished the totem. Expression to me is everything I love and each one builds my skill level a little more. Fingers crossed that next year I can produce what I want. Now to figure out which bird and fill out all the paperwork and drive them into the clinic.

I do not like to do other people's dogs because I do not have the dogs here and working from a photograph always looks to me like I did it from a photograph and it's too easy to make mistakes. I was able to lift Victor's leg and say ok, if it bends like this that muscle does that or his back curves here and his ribs start there. YOu can't get that from a photo no matter how hard you try. I made a greyhound once and was horrified when I finally got to be around a real one how far off I was on the length of that nose. Anyway. THe lyfe so short the crafte so long to learne or something like that. Maybe one day I can, but not yet. THere is a huge difference in working 3 dimensional compared to 2 and that's before you get to learning all the particulars of drying processes, clay bodies, and firing techniques. There is no guarantee that something will turn out the way you want. You can work on something for a week, the power can go out, something else can go wrong, and it's all a bust. Literally.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I dropped off my donations at the clinic today. CAme home to find Victor has done something to his inner eyelid. At first his eye was all watery and when I pulled the lid back to check, it looks like there is a tear or a blood blister or something on the inner eyelid. THen he had a bit of bloody drainage. IF he wasn't white it wouldn't be near as noticeable. I put a warm compress on it, he won't let me see well what is really wrong. So back to the clinic first thing in the morning we go. I can't express enough my gratitude in this not for profit service. THis is what I mean when I say without them, I couldn't have my dogs at all. He was perfectly fine an hour ago. I heard a yelp right before this started. I don't know if the cat got him, or he was playing with Pepper, maybe she got him accidently somehow. I wish he would let me see. IF you have a vibe for it to be nothing serious please.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
An eye exam to make sure the pupil did not have an ulcer, a tube of medicine. We got there when they opened so only about an hour wait. 38 dollars and a much relieved me and a happy Victor.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
finished Taffy. She is up for adoption. I had hoped for darker, and I did try stainging it, but I din't like it so I removed it and left it the way it came from the kiln. There is a small bit of kibble left in her bowl . Title, Mawr Paweese.
That's 4, and that's it for this year. I can't wait to see how well the auction does.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Taffy has been adopted by an HSGKC volunteer. I sure hope my little sculpture of her somehow finds her way to the new owner. Awesomenesss. I really liked the way she looked. She had everything I like in a dog. I wish Taffy and her new owner...owners, the very best of a forever life. YAY.
THe auction is Friday night and I can't wait!!!!! SOOOO excited. My son is going to come, and Hyia will be there too.

Members online

No members online now.