Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Allons-y!

I really really want to get some minimalist footwear - I go barefoot whenever I can but it's not always practical obviously...for those of you that go running/hiking in VFFs, what model do you have? There are tons of different ones and I'm not sure which one would be best.

Emily &:
Aurai Treasure Island - "Simon"
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Ball Thrower

There are lots of different barefoot shoes. I like vivobarefoot, but some people swear by merril's, and others love vibram. Go to an athletic shoe store and try them out, see which you like best.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Behavior Nerd

speedy - for hiking I much prefer my VFF KomodoSports or TrekSports - they have a thicker sole which is nice around rocks, but are just as comfy and with enough ground feel.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

My new ones are the Brooks PureFlow!

And yes that is the colour I bought. I ordered it online because my shoe store couldn't get it, and I was like "BUT I WANT THE BRIGHT PINK." So I ordered it online. =|
I needed a shoe that was going to help me transition down to more minimal shoes, and these felt the best on my feet. I tried an ASICS minimal shoe since I've been running in ASICS since I started running, but these just felt better. So far they've gone to cycling class with me for almost two months, done kickboxing and other cardio stuff, and about a month worth of weightlifting... just haven't actually run in them yet, haha. But I sure do love them. The first time I took them to cycling I could feel the pedal under my foot so much. It was weird. Didn't really hurt, I just felt it. Either I've gotten used to it or my foot has gotten all callousy, but I don't notice it anymore.
Anybody in traditional shoes, the first time you get your hands on something like this, your first reaction is going to be "these are so light!" They got passed around my work when they came here because nobody could believe how light they are. It's pretty crazy.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Twin 2

I use my Sprints. Cause they feel good and they're purple

IMG_2243 by Traveling Koolie, on Flickr

I use them out hiking around with the dogs and walking around town. Not sure which ones I want next.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydogs View Post
I really really want to get some minimalist footwear - I go barefoot whenever I can but it's not always practical obviously...for those of you that go running/hiking in VFFs, what model do you have? There are tons of different ones and I'm not sure which one would be best.
I've been running (on dead pokey grass) in my Bikilas and love them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I use my Sprints. Cause they feel good and they're purple

IMG_2243 by Traveling Koolie, on Flickr

I use them out hiking around with the dogs and walking around town. Not sure which ones I want next.
Ummm, adorable!!!!!!!!!!! You should be an ad, I would buy them!

I was torn between these and the KSO shoes...and ordered the KSO because I found last year's on sale. I want something just to wear "out and about" that are as simplistic as I can get but I wasn't sure if I wanted the top to be open like yours or not...
Old 08-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post

Ummm, adorable!!!!!!!!!!! You should be an ad, I would buy them!

I was torn between these and the KSO shoes...and ordered the KSO because I found last year's on sale. I want something just to wear "out and about" that are as simplistic as I can get but I wasn't sure if I wanted the top to be open like yours or not...
You should see the funny tan lines I have on my feet. They're hysterical and apparently very noticeable since I get comments on them all the time if I'm wearing sandals or barefoot
Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydogs View Post
...for those of you that go running/hiking in VFFs, what model do you have? There are tons of different ones and I'm not sure which one would be best.
I have several pairs...

I run in Spyridons. I would not recommend Spyridons for everyday "around the town" wear... they are most definitely a trail running VFF model. Another use for them would probably be hiking somewhere you need extreme traction... but in my opinion there are better VFF for casual to moderate hiking.

For hiking... I wear just about anything. I have found Treksports offer better traction in wet/damp situations than Komodosports. I also love my KSOs for times when I'm going to be hiking in/near water and sand.

IMO, the best all-around, do-anything model is still the Komodosport. I have two pairs, and I wear them everywhere - Love, love, love them.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)