Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM
such sights to show you

It might be harder if the dogs aren't all that experienced at camping, too. Seems like the first time, sometimes they don't quite get that the tent is for sleeping in.

Not really trying to talk you out of it, just if it's meant to be a nice relaxing getaway, it would be nice to relax instead of spending all your time wrangling. I brought Squash on my recent camping trip and while it was entertaining and bonding, Pip or Maisy would have been much more purely relaxing.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Twin 2.0

Man I'm glad I live near the mountains. I've gone camping with 8 dogs (though not by myself) and it was a blast. Our campsite was literally a spot we picked out in the middle of the woods and didn't have to worry about expens or tie outs or other people. All the dogs stayed in camp with us of their own accord and enjoyed the hikes we took. The only issue we sort of had was it was getting down to the 40's at night, so one of the short haired dogs was getting chilly at night until I put my extra hoodie on her.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Top Dog

camping in the middle of nowhere with 5 dogs would be great. Camping at a relatively common type state park around here would be a nightmare with 5 dogs of a decent size.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Top Dog

Makes sense. I know if I decide to go to the mountains, I will have nothing to worry about. I am leaning towards doing that instead of the campground feel. We shall see.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Top Dog

I've done both woods/desert and campground with up to three big strong drivey dogs at a time. It keeps you very busy even with 2-3 people wrangling that many dogs at any given time, especially if you are somewhere you need to be on leash and there are things like obnoxious other dogs and stuff.

I don't think I'd take more than 3 with help and even just doing a non-camping trip with my two very well behaved girls last weekend I was extremely glad I had help from the friend I asked along because no ac in my car and ya gotta go the the restroom sometime.

On the plus side Lily was a lot less shitty during feeding time than she has been on past adventures, I was still pretty anal about having my friend hold Lily (I fed her first since she's a fast eater) while I fed Scout a ways away. I think Lily was just super pumped and happy to go on a roadtrip again lol, its been a while.

I actually got some portable chains made for camping in the woods. Usually they are only tied out while we're setting up or cooking and otherwise are loose or leash in hand depending on where it is.
I've only used the 15ft (I have a 10ft as well) one for Scout while huckleberry picking. I wanted to keep her close since she looks wolfy and well its ID. Worked a LOT better in the woods/brush than their long lines or cables have in the past. Lily was just in the bushes with me eating berries, so wasn't really worried about her. They didn't get to go this year because all the times we went, all of us went so there was no room in the truck.

I have to tie the tent zippers shut with a shoelace because Lily undoes them.