Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 AM
BusterLove

My family is thankfully pretty good, especially with Quinn because they have seen her at her worst and they know the amount of work I've put into her to get her back from there and, well, they know I know my sh*t.

They still do a bit of the "sit, sit, sit, SIT!" and then rewards them by letting them out the door or have the treat of whatever. I'm like "she knows it, don't reward her testing you out"
Mum's getting much better, especially since we started working on their door bolting (our entire yard is fully fenced so we never bothered much about manners for the front door before) and now if Quinn tries to go out before verbally allowed Mum just leaves her inside, has made a big difference.

They are all pretty good about it other than them telling me I over think things too much. I don't think I overthink thigs but I'm not going to decide now I know it all and can work it out myself from here on in.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmills View Post
This is interesting advice and if I were going to remove the dogs to a spot, I would be doing it several times a day, at least at first. It's possible that this would work over time, given that I am persistent.

Just today the BIG offender commented that "you have to stop these dogs from barking so much." I can't. She won't listen and keeps yelling at them. Then they bark even more. It's a good opportunity to try out this advice.
Yes, and training them something like "go to place" could very well help this behavior too! Simply reward them ONLY for being quiet while being in their spot, they'll learn pretty quick if you're persistent and good with rewards this should help the barking too.

Oh, and how I hate the "double commands" too! My family is obnoxious about that to and it drives me nuts! "Sit, sit, siiiit, SIT! sit..." STOP IT! Say it once, wait, then make it happen if they don't or move on and I'll deal with it, at least my dogs know me well enough, but that frustrates my family "why wont they listen to me?", because YOU don't listen to me when I show you how to teach them, duh.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Active Pup

It is definitely best to have the whole family living under the same roof to follow through certain instructions with regards to the dog(s) at home. Wouldn't want to confuse them with family member A saying one thing and family member B saying another different thing.
pet grooming singapore