Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Blackout

Default Kuvasz breeder opinions

I've been doing ALOT of thinking about the next dog - two years/one and a half isn't that far away at all. And originally I did after all want to get a pair of Kuvasz both at once (littermates and both girls too), I was successfully dissuaded of the idea and ended up with just Katalin.

This breed is mine and has really captured my heart - so again, this is all nothing but speculation at the moment. But I'm looking into Kuvasz breeders in the States for the second addition - IF I do choose to go that route. Katalin's breeder's won't be having puppies for a good while, the humans are having some health issues and getting up there in years. She has within her mostly every Canadian champion line of her breed - so I was discussing this with her breeder the other day and she was very nice about it and recommended a few kennels to me.

Wanted to get opinions on here about them first though =)

There's the illustriuous Szumeria Kuvasz Kennels - they're this year's AKC working group breeder of the year and home of Tanner, apparently the number one Kuvasz in the history of the breed They prefer their pups to go to other show/contract homes and are abit difficult to acquire from - but my breeder has a relationship with one of the ladies involved with Szumeria and can put in a word for me.

http://www.szumeriakuvasz.com/

Glacier Creek Kuvasz looks promising too... They have a AKC Breeder of Merit achievement and some very lovely looking dogs. Not much details about health records on the website that I can see - but I'm sure they are pretty good and can confirm and discuss with breeder.

http://glaciercreekkuvasz.com/

Elso Kuvasz - don't know much about them. They just had puppies...*drool*....but who could really resist? AKC breeder of Merit as well - they look good.

http://www.elsokuvasz.com/

This one would be the closest distance wise for me - Casablanca Kuvasz in California. -

http://www.casablancakuvasz.com/

Then there is Double Ring Kuvasz -

http://doubleringkuvasz.com/index.html

Honestly I'm leaning towards Szumeria and Glacier Creek...
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Taxiderpy

I haven't met any of those breeders since Kuvasz breeders aren't very common here, but Szep Tars has some really nice correct dogs. They've been really great as companions and some of her show dogs have retired to working stock on big sheep farms.

Szumeria is behind their lines too.

I really like their girl Piper. She placed top 10 in the breed with VERY limited showing. She has a closer, dense curly coat which is really interesting. And she's totally stable and rad. <3 I'd probably get one from them if I ever get into the breed.

http://www.szeptars.com/

ETA: They're very open about health testing and health history in their lines, good and bad. Something I really value in a breeder.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Blackout

Thanks Romy!

They look really lovely too. Ah decisions, decisions...

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Taxiderpy

Personally I'd put in inquiries with the ones you like and see if they're planning any litters, then go from there.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

How much experience have you had with this breed or other livestock protection breeds? Do you live on a farm or large property, which enables these breeds some room?
Not trying to rain on your parade, but I see more and more ppl obtaining these types of dogs, living in apartments, houses in towns/cities and frankly running into a lot of trouble.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
How much experience have you had with this breed or other livestock protection breeds? Do you live on a farm or large property, which enables these breeds some room?
Not trying to rain on your parade, but I see more and more ppl obtaining these types of dogs, living in apartments, houses in towns/cities and frankly running into a lot of trouble.
She has one currently...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Blackout

This is my first LGD and indeed I currently own a 9 month old Kuvasz puppy.

Ya, the majority of folks out there don't understand what exactly they are getting into (see my Maremma mistaken as goldens thread in the other forum) and don't have a good comprehension of the breed before they jump into the commitment. Frankly - that pisses me off alot; ANY dog requires heavy socialization, firm yet fair training and a certain structure depending on their individual in order to be good canine citizens - you don't acquire one of these behemoths and allow them to behave like bloody fools. Katalin is more than socialized and is thriving; Her training is going excellently at weekly classes and we may get into agility once she's abit older (I want to be careful of her bones as she's still growing).

The Kuvaszok is a most formidable animal - it won't let you forget it's needs or that you have a real dog, not a lap decoration or a throw rug. Apartment life isn't a problem at all as long as you provide them ample outings, keep them stimulated and drain them of energy on training sessions/runs daily. These dogs have unique, soft temperaments and a strong working drive - understanding and knowing how to work with both is the key to their training and success as a polite and productive pet/worker/guard.

We've not really run into any kind of particular trouble because of her breed that any other handler and other more "average" breed wouldn't have to deal with in puppyhood either. The aloofish attitude has always been there and I am aware of what is to come in adulthood. This is a good dog for me - I do want another breed but that is wishful thinking at this point and I will really need to be living in the countryside in order for me to bring that dog into my life one day. But that's another thread, another topic, and another adventure for another time...

Romy,

I will probably by January - it's abit early now and lots of them have their summer pups arriving/already on the ground and since I'm not taking one for right now...yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Top Dog

I asked, because I am seeing more and more of these dogs or types of dogs in my puppy and obedience classes. Sadly so many of the ppl have no clue as to what they have purchased and are ill equipped to deal with them.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Blackout

I'm glad you did - and sorry if my response came off as defensive, but two things are bugging me; I'm sick of people online and in person looking at me like I'm some dumb pretty little bimbo with no sense of what my dog is and the other is just the idiots that actually take these dogs home and expect them to be the typical family canine, fetching the newspaper, welcoming guests, that comes "pre-trained" etc.

I've had a few fumbles and struggles with Katalin as any handler would with their dog but all is well and on the right track now - I did really exhaustive research into Kuvasz history, temperament, health, training - the works. It was and is an on going adventure of trial and error but overall it's all good =)

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Just sticking my head in to say that I really appreciate the fact that the Glacier Creek dogs seem to do quite a bit of actual livestock protection. Most "LGD" I know are show bred and show bred only.