Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Kaydee

Default Sophie going bald?

We're going to the vet tomorrow for yearly heartworm check, so I can ask the doctor too...but anyone else deal with balding doggie??? Last year they told us that basically she's probably highly allergic to fleas. Even though the Frontline kills them, her skin is reacting to them being there at all.

Around her tail, but her belly and up her sides, her back legs, underarms...She has super short fur to begin with. Now you can see pink through the white.

She's not itching or biting really, it just looks like she got buzz cut in places.
It grows back by September. It happens every year May-August. Just weird
Old 07-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

It sounds kind of like a contact allergy to me. Maybe she is laying on something that is causing a reaction such as floor cleaning products or laundry detergent on her bedding. Or perhaps she is reacting to the Frontline itself?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I have found a lot of pit bulls with thinning hair as they age... I'm honestly not sure why though. Let us know what the vet says!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Kaydee

They gave her the oral flea meds...now, I'm nervous about side effects...the vet said if there's still fleas in the house that even with the Frontline they're still munching her. That was cute though. They gave her the pill in one of those treat pockets and chompchompchomp she spit out the pill...then the nurse brought in a different flavor treat pocket bigger than the first chompchompchompchomp she spit out the pill
Finally hubby and nurse got her to swallow it, but she was really good about the whole visit. 3yr parvo and neg. heartworm and maybe her fur will grow in again soon
Old 08-04-2012, 02:18 PM
FidoFitness

Lots of reasons for potential baldness- cushings disease will cause it around the belly. Also, hotspots or contact dermatitis. Poms and some nordic breeds are prone to a genetic condition that causes their skin to turn black and then the hair to fall out.