Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
It's too bad. Like most breeds, there are breeders who are less than stellar. I think you have to go to Italy to get one from an old timer breeder. I don't know...that would be awful. It's like all dogs, you really have to be careful where you get them. It's amazing to me too, how so many Golden retrievers and Labs are showing up with poor temperaments and so forth. They use to be such lovely dogs. Well, they still are IF from well bred stock. My own Lab and Lab mix I had years ago were wonderful examples of Labradors.
I don't know the LRs as well as PWDs but with PWDs, the gene pool is so small that even if you are very careful about picking a breeder it's hard to avoid all of the potential issues. There's not many breeders you could really call "BYBs", it's extremely different from Labs or Goldens or other popular breeds. PWD breeders have been extremely proactive with health testing and PWDCA is constantly funding research as new health issues come up to craete genetic tests. Nearly all of the breeders are involved in PWDs are active in showing and/or doing other stuff with their dogs. PWD breeders tend to be very protective of the breed, almost to a fault really.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:19 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Adrianne, I realize they are high high high energy, and I think if I can instill an off-switch young (I should be a freaking pro at Protocol for Relaxation by the time I'm done with Frodo ) or rescue one that settles well in the house, that I would have a blast with lots of energy.
If you can handle that kind of energy, you might really like a wirehaired pointing griffon. They are the ultimate stamina champions of crazy jumping/running/diving repeatedly into the ocean to retrieve crap for hours, and they even have an off switch.

At least Charlie was like that. He was pretty barky too, but so are most sporting dogs. With any barky dog one on one training will go a long way to teaching them to be quiet.

They have incredibly great health too. Joint problems, epilepsy, cancer, etc. are VERY rare in the breed. Pretty much all the breeders are rabid about health testing and working their dogs too.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I haven't met an obnoxiously vocal Collie!
Come to work with me, I can show you four in one go
Old 07-31-2012, 03:37 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Come to work with me, I can show you four in one go
I'll raise you four and make it eight.

No wait, one is debarked. That should say something right there.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I'll raise you four and make it eight.

No wait, one is debarked. That should say something right there.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I don't know the LRs as well as PWDs but with PWDs, the gene pool is so small that even if you are very careful about picking a breeder it's hard to avoid all of the potential issues. There's not many breeders you could really call "BYBs", it's extremely different from Labs or Goldens or other popular breeds. PWD breeders have been extremely proactive with health testing and PWDCA is constantly funding research as new health issues come up to craete genetic tests. Nearly all of the breeders are involved in PWDs are active in showing and/or doing other stuff with their dogs. PWD breeders tend to be very protective of the breed, almost to a fault really.
I really like PWD's. It sounds very good how the breeders are being so proactive and diligent.

The Lagotto has a very small gene pool, as the breed was almost extinct for a while and fairly recently. So, I can see how that can be problematic.

Being quite appealing to me, I thought my next dog (IF there is another dog) would quite possibly be a Lagotto. Now, I think they would have too much energy for me and their joy of digging would not be fitting, as I really love gardening. lol.

Fortunately, there are so many breeds, there simply must be one that will suit PW to a T.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I really like PWD's. It sounds very good how the breeders are being so proactive and diligent.
Well yes and no. PWDs were nearly extinct at a point as well, there were basically two main lines of them left. When one of their early genetic tests became available for a fatal disease that killed affected dogs in puppyhood, breeders quickly removed all carriers from the gene pool. This pretty much eliminated the disease but also one of the two remaining lines, as most of the carrier were from the same background. This is where being proactive and diligent can become a problem. It quickly became considered unethical to breed carriers of this disease and it was considered victory for the breed's health. But...the breed on a whole is much less healthy than they were then. now decades later, been ever increasing health issues popping up in the breed with some problems becoming extremely widespread. They traded one problem for many more problems, all harder to manage than the initial issue. A similar thing happened in Basenjis with their first genetic test but luckily, there is an unregistered population of the breed in their native land which could be brought into the modern gene pool. PWDs aren't so lucky.

This talks about the issue with Basenjis, pretty interesting article: http://www.ashgi.org/articles/breeding_bad_genes.htm
Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

Yes, the carriers, if they're good in most every way should be used as long as they're bred with a clear...at least until there is more to breed from and if that doesn't produce affected. Maybe that depends on the disease. It sure does eliminate diversity by zeroing in one just one illness or health issue.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson