Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Dog Art and Pet Paintings

Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Kinda bummed right now. Just realized I was using my pencil tool instead of the brush tool... so the lines are kind of rough looking and I have no idea how to fix it without starting over. *le sigh*
Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

tell yourself what I always tell myself ..second time is always better. and it's true at least for me. I really like your foxes.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 PM
My dog tickles my soul

I really am terrified to start over. I got all the placement, shapes, movement, etc. where I wanted it. I just don't like the harsh edges to the lines now that I know there was a better tool for it.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Taxiderpy

They're beautiful!

Are you using photoshop or another program? You can set the opacity of the layer with your original lineart to 50%, make a new layer, and then trace over it with the brush tool.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:54 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
They're beautiful!

Are you using photoshop or another program? You can set the opacity of the layer with your original lineart to 50%, make a new layer, and then trace over it with the brush tool.
Ohhhh Romy, THANK YOU! I had tried tracing over my lines with the correct tool, but I didn't know you can change the opacity of a layer after it was drawn so it was just muddling things up. I started last night just to draw the lineart from scratch using my original sketch base, and I was pretty much in tears by the time I finally gave up.

Hopefully this is much less stressful. Thank you.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
Ohhhh Romy, THANK YOU! I had tried tracing over my lines with the correct tool, but I didn't know you can change the opacity of a layer after it was drawn so it was just muddling things up. I started last night just to draw the lineart from scratch using my original sketch base, and I was pretty much in tears by the time I finally gave up.

Hopefully this is much less stressful. Thank you.
Yay! I'm glad it helped. I'm a total photoshop newb so have been watching a bunch of tutorials on youtube to learn the different tools.

And oh man. This one is amazing. I watched it and it was like... mind<--blown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ND...hannel&list=UL

It's a series of six videos that starts with lineart and goes to amazing color. Like whoa. And as a bonus the dude has a really mellow voice, it's like listening to a smooth jazz station.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Yay! I'm glad it helped. I'm a total photoshop newb so have been watching a bunch of tutorials on youtube to learn the different tools.

And oh man. This one is amazing. I watched it and it was like... mind<--blown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ND...hannel&list=UL

It's a series of six videos that starts with lineart and goes to amazing color. Like whoa. And as a bonus the dude has a really mellow voice, it's like listening to a smooth jazz station.
Thanks for the tutorial link! Once you suggested changing the layer opacities, I still had to dig for help on how to do that. I had looked and looked and until you said something, I thought that it just wasn't possible after it was drawn (which seemed stupid, but I couldn't figure it out!)

I actually just finished doing just that, changing the lineart opacity and tracing new lineart with the brush tool. I managed to fix some things, but other just... aren't right. Mostly the legs and feet are kinda wonky now. I've been erasing and redrawing over and over, but I think I just need a break for the night now.

I'll share the progress again once I've finally fixed these lines.

Again, THANK YOU for the help. I was really in despair over it before you posted.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:34 PM
My dog tickles my soul

It took me a week and one do-over, but it's finished. While there are things I could tweak, I have reached the point where I don't think any more nitpicking is going to help it.

I learned three new techniques, and forced myself to do some things that I didn't think I could anymore. All in all, I am very pleased.

Sorry it's a little big...

Oh... and her name is Calliope.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Taxiderpy

I love it! The time you put into learning new techniques and rendering this piece really shows. Don't worry so much about time when you're learning. Once you have the techniques down future pieces will go a lot faster.

Aquafox is rad. She needs her own clothing line or something.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
I love it! The time you put into learning new techniques and rendering this piece really shows. Don't worry so much about time when you're learning. Once you have the techniques down future pieces will go a lot faster.

Aquafox is rad. She needs her own clothing line or something.
Thank you.

I wasn't really concerned about time. I was just stating how long it took. lol. In a way, I guess I am glad it took a while, because it means that I was into it, rather than spending an hour, getting frustrated, and giving up. (Which is what has been happening the last... several years.)

And I don't know about a clothing line, but I do have an idea for a buddy for her.