Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

I would seriously doubt the popularity of random people owning "seppala lined dogs". However, there are several USA Sibe breeders that took part in the breeding of false Seppala dogs, so I can understand not everyone keeps up with the politics. But true Seppala dogs are few and far between, with the majority owned by only a handful of people in Alaska, Canada, and a few were shipped back to where they came from.

As far as this mutt breed....it is a desinger mutt focused around hype, popularity, and uneducated suckers who don't understand dogs well enough to get what they need. I don't think it will curb interest in Sibes, wolf hybrids, or any other Spitz dog. I think it will just cause a rift and a lot of backyard breeding when people assume they can "create" the dogs themselves. Labradoodles come to mind.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Eh I bet that's just aspirations of grandeur. Lol
Yup lol I asked her on FB we'll see that she says
Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/20...companion-dog/

seems like a good start towards a niche breed.
I am intrigued and will defiantly keep looking into this.

edit~ found this video ,
i dont know what all the pretty colors mean but htere they are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtHY...7&feature=plcp
Old 07-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Top Dog

I don't have a problem with people with the right intentions legitimately trying to develop a new breed. The fact that health testing is clearly very important sits well with me. I like the CGC requirement, too. I'd like to see ATTS on there as well, but I definitely understand that in some areas it's virtually impossible to find an ATTS test.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Honestly, if someone can fill that "wolfdog" niche with a mellow stable companion dog, I'm all for it. It would really cut down on the demand for real hybrids and also on the demand for wolfy looking northern breeds that don't have any business as companions in an apartment.
This. I love that they are temperament tested and health tested before breeding. I really do like them as an alternate to wolf-dogs, which nobody has any business owning but people still want.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 07-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I don't have a problem with people with the right intentions legitimately trying to develop a new breed. The fact that health testing is clearly very important sits well with me. I like the CGC requirement, too. I'd like to see ATTS on there as well, but I definitely understand that in some areas it's virtually impossible to find an ATTS test.
^
This completely
Old 07-26-2012, 03:29 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
^ This

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
This. I love that they are temperament tested and health tested before breeding. I really do like them as an alternate to wolf-dogs, which nobody has any business owning but people still want.
^ and this.

Mike is adamant about one day getting a wolf dog. As in, he will be getting one and I won't be stopping him. My two comforts is that a.) he does understand that a wolf hybrid is not a pet dog and b.) he intends to only get one if we live in an area where we can make a comfortable set up/enclosure for it outside and it can be cared for like the hybrid it is. I am secretly hoping that if I get a Tamaskan (or like "wolf look alike but easy going temperament" breed in progress) than he will be content with a "wolf dog" that acts like, well, a dog. LOL

I think a breed such as the Alaskan Noble Companion Dog would be a brilliant compromise.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Ehh as far as it being a mutt breed meant to fill a void or whatever, that's how all breeds are made. Just because you are content with one of the breeds currently around, doesn't mean everybody is. At least they're doing it right and doing health tests/temperament testing.

I agree with the rest saying it could be a good thing, if it stops people from looking for that wolf hybrid

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

I don't think this breed will fill any void. Someone who wants a Sibe will get a Sibe. If they want a Wolf Hybrid, they will get a Hybrid. Anyone in the dog world should know this. Even if someone had the choice of getting the SAME breed from either a breeder or rescue...where is 70% of the public going to go first? The breeder, and it's likely to be a "cheap" one.

And IF this breed takes off, you'll have BYB snatching up every Hybrid, Sibe, Akita, and GSD trying to breed them on their own, then sell them for cheaper prices than this breeder most likely wants, and minus the titles and health testing...because the public just wants "pets" anyway, so who cares?

I see this ending down a very, very bad road. As so most designer mutts that are centered around hype, popularity, and giving people what they want.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

So, this breed is purely being created because they want a dog that looks more like a wolf?

It'll be interesting to see how this 'breed' works out in the coming years.