Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

Default Breed bans

When would you agree with something like a breed ban? I'm wondering because I did agree with one not long ago. Thought it'd be an interesting thread...

I don't mean universal bans, like 'no pitbulls in the city', but in certain areas or places....
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

I can't imagine ever agreeing with a breed ban.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Top Dog

In what sense? Like no bullies in the dog park? No, I couldn't see an instance where I would agree. It is a very slippery slope IMO. I guess the problem is that there is no means of telling who isn't responsible before an incident happens, or even not being able to do something even though the warning signs are there. I guess this is what BSL is trying to do, but it certainly punishes the responsible people and dogs.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Top Dog

Dogs that are ballsy, like to fight and tend to grip and hold are more hazardous in a dog park than other dogs. There are breeds that exhibit these traits wayy more frequently than others. If 90% of a breed really does not belong in the dog park does it make sense to ban the breed from the park? Or do you let everybody in and wait for bad behavior to show, keeping in mind that the "showing" part may be pretty disastrous? And keeping in mind that these breeds tend not to need bad publicity.

I don't really know lol.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
And keeping in mind that these breeds tend not to need bad publicity.
Hmm...just playing devil's advocate here...is it not bad publicity to hang a certain breed of dog as so different from other breeds that they need 'special treatment'?

It then falls into the problem with ownership bans, that who's to say if a dog is a certain breed. Do you ban all bullies, GSDs, Dobes, Rotties? If you ban bullies, does that include the molosser types? Does that include the lab/boxer mixes that resemble bullies? Skye the Pointer mix has been called a pit bull before..if some random person decides she is a pit bull, do I get banned, even though she refuses to fight and never causes problems? I just don't think appearance alone is enough.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 AM
BusterLove

Never, because they are based on completley the wrong idea. Breed bans are knee jerk reaction and a band aid solution to the bigger problem of uneducated, irresponsible owners making bad choices regarding what breed they take on and how they raise them after that.

I also think in cases like "no bully breeds at dog parks" might be well intentioned, but in realtiy will lead to a whole lot of people. A. Thinking bully breeds are indeed dangerous and B. All other breeds are great for dog parks.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 AM
APBT crazy!

I would never would want a breed banned for any reason.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Hmm...just playing devil's advocate here...is it not bad publicity to hang a certain breed of dog as so different from other breeds that they need 'special treatment'?
I think that people understand quite well that breeds have tendencies for certain behaviors... that is intuitive (and true). So if banning a breed sends the message that some breeds have a rather strong tendency to not do well in dog parks for a number of reasons... well, that's the truth anyways isn't it? Certainly more accurate than "they're all the same" (which seems to be the take home message for a lot of people when it comes to anti-ban). I know the reasoning behind all breeds allowed it that it depends on the individual dog, which is also true but doesn't really take into account that there ignorant and/or irresponsible owners and that certain breeds have a higher propensity for getting into fights and doing more damage (and for having irresponsible owners!).

I think it makes a big difference if it is presented as the government imposing a ban (which implies irresponsible people with uncivilized dogs) or owners of the breed/dog people making some kind of ban (which imo implies responsibility).

Just some things I've been considering, I'm certainly not advocating banning anything from any place at this point lol and I would never ever in a million years support a breed ban that covered an entire city or country.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:06 AM
...ice road...

Do I believe ownership of certain breeds should be banned? No. That is a dangerous concept, and it's been PROVEN not to work.

Do I believe certain breeds should be prohibited from off leash dog parks and play groups at day cares and such? ABSOLUTELY.

Bull breeds have a genetic predisposition for dog aggression and prey drive, and owners who claim that their dog is "different", cry for equality, and claim their dog would never go after another animal are setting their dogs up for failure. These breeds have a population of owners who want to brand their dogs as being "just like any other dog" and able to be "raised right" and be friendly with everything on the planet, when this is simply not true. You absolutely cannot train out dog aggression or prey drive, and it's folly and dangerous to think you can. So, in light of those types of owners - I DO think someone else needs to step up to protect other dogs from people who don't realize their own dogs' genetic make up.

(I think dog parks and off leash play groups at day care facilities in general are horrid ideas and I would never allow any dog of mine, regardless of breed, to be involved in any such activity.)
Old 07-26-2012, 05:24 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
Do I believe ownership of certain breeds should be banned? No. That is a dangerous concept, and it's been PROVEN not to work.

Do I believe certain breeds should be prohibited from off leash dog parks and play groups at day cares and such? ABSOLUTELY.

Bull breeds have a genetic predisposition for dog aggression and prey drive, and owners who claim that their dog is "different", cry for equality, and claim their dog would never go after another animal are setting their dogs up for failure. These breeds have a population of owners who want to brand their dogs as being "just like any other dog" and able to be "raised right" and be friendly with everything on the planet, when this is simply not true. You absolutely cannot train out dog aggression or prey drive, and it's folly and dangerous to think you can. So, in light of those types of owners - I DO think someone else needs to step up to protect other dogs from people who don't realize their own dogs' genetic make up.
I tend toward this mindset as well, though I don't have as much trouble with pit bulls in private daycares with people who know what they're doing and who will be proactive about telling the owner when it is time to stop bringing them.

And I kind of hate that I feel that way- I hate that I am discriminatory toward pit bulls- but the truth is that owners are proving over and over and over again that they do not understand the breed and they cannot keep their dogs and other peoples' dogs safe, and those mistakes impact the entire pit bull owning population. Somebody letting their pit bull run at a dog park, get into a fight, and injure somebody's dog (or somebody) puts my dogs at risk. I wish that pit bull owners would just respect their dogs and open their eyes and grow brains, but alas....

But yes, who is to say the dog is a pit bull and not a boxer/lab x? There are so many gray areas and so many what ifs?
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?