Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Default Diatomaceous Earth

Has anyone ever used this to treat for fleas?

I've just dusted the house inside and all along the entry and exit points, along the baseboards, dusted the sofa and every single dog bed here (which is a surprising lot of them) plus all four nutterbeans. We're having a hell of a flea infestation this year, and the vet suggested DE or Borax or Boric acid, can't remember which of the last two, to treat the dogs and house with. Nothing is working to kill them, and we've run the gamut of topical treatments, as well as a few internal that help, but haven't stopped the tide. Capstar, comfortis and trifexis have all been tried and still Ozzy is eaten up, Knox is chewing and while Enzo and Indy aren't as bothered, there are still fleas on them.

I'm leaving it down overnight, since I've read that they'll be dead in as little as four hours, but I don't have access to a vacuum until then, and I'll need to vacuum it up.

Anyway, has anyone used this with success?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Top Dog

My first Afghan got fleas only once in her life, after a period of floods when it seemed they were everywhere! We tried so much stuff and in the end, Borax on the carpets was what finally got rid if them. We left it overnight and vacumed the next day then repeated a few more times over the next two weeks just in case.