Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 PM
overdogged

It's easier for me right now because Steve is on crate rest so he *can't* go most of the time. Once he's back in action, it will be harder, because sometimes I just can't take them both.

And then I feel guilty because the bullies stay home most of the time. But to be honest, they're so used to it, I don't think they much mind. Especially Mushroom, since my leaving means he gets a bone. I still feel guilty though
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

They are great together, but I love the one on one time almost more than they do. Lily is fine being left, but she is also my favorite...

Scout freaks the f out if she is left alone without another dog in the house... I did have her to where I could though, but finding my foster a home and some other cumulative factors caused the severe relapse of a myriad of anxiety issues we're currently working through... again/still.

So as triage management I'm having to do everything (even fracking potty time) with them together. Honestly its driving me up the frickin' wall because I need some time with my Lily bug alone. Luckily Lily has been a trooper... I think its because she and Scout are a lot more closely bonded than they were last time we were in this situation. Still... it blows. And they aren't at all ill behaved when we're all together, but its just crappy to get zero one on one time with Lily right now. I hate it. We either need another dog in rotation or Scout to stop having mental issues already.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I feel bad when I have to go to the grocery store or work and I can't take my single dog. I can't even imagine how I'm going to feel when I add a second... Though, when we add a second, Harlow will become more Josh's dog (not that she isn't already). I think most of my alone time with the new guy will be herding or agility class. The rest of the time the two nut balls will most likely go together.

Now, when we add a third, I don't know how that will work. We have seriously discussed waiting to add a V until Harlow is old and to the point that she can't hike/kayak or do any other fun things very well anymore.

So no advice here, but I have a feeling I will be in the same boat as you very soon.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

They do need one on one time, tell Trav to suck it up, he got plenty and will continue to get more.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

I rotate alot, each dog gets its own individual attention for training, walks ect and then we do things in groups of 2-3 and then we do large pack walks with everyone and work on recalls as a group, stays as a group ect
Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Top Dog

We rotate. I've always had multiple dogs, so it's what I've always done. I'm probably a big meanie, but I really don't feel bad leaving one/multiples while I do stuff with the others. It's just our routine. Even though Nog tries to make himself look extra pitiful when I take Goose without him
Old 07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

I think you need to share the time with each of them. Your girl probably needs more alone time with you right now. They defiantly need alone time from one another so they don't cause a fuss when taken out separator when they are older.

At the moment, Serenity gets the most one on one time because she throws a fit if I to out with Sunny. I hate this, I truly do. I do prefer taking her out but I do hope in time she'll learn to behave better so Sunny and I can have some more one on one time together.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Top Dog

We rotate as well, but it helps that I have special activities for each dog (hunting with Bailey, training with Liberty, long walks with Mammoth). To be honest, I hate dragging them all out together because they just don't like each other that much and that's 166 cumulative pounds of dog to be responsible for.

I wouldn't stress about it too much (I know it's hard!). It might be easier on you to 'keep score' regarding how much alone time each dog gets, so that you can feel reassured that you aren't leaving anybody out.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm All Ears

I am horrible about this too. I almost always lug both of mine around with me all the time. I even signed Summer up for agility so I could take them both back to back. This week I'm going to have all four and I had even thought about taking all four to agility then realized I'm being crazy.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I rotate outings and special one on one time between the 5. Usually during the week we alternate days, and use the weekends as free group time. Depending on the situation I try to bring them up in pairs, rarely three at once, and once or twice a year I'll bring all 5 somewhere if I have a helper (like Halloween or camping at outdoor trials).

Going anywhere anyways is a drive so I try to double it, and play to each others strength. I won't take both schnauzers out together, I don't take the girls or boys out together. Poodles go out together, Charlie can go with anyone. Stryder only goes singly to pet stores because he likes to pee on stuff.