Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMichelle View Post
Heres a French GSD breeder
www.lacitedesloupsgris.fr

I was looking at getting Beauceron from Debbie too! LOVE Avatar but unfortunately he isnt the norm for the breed :/ I also love her dog Voila.
Thank you! And I know she is trying to work on that though last I heard. Hopes she makes some head way I really like the breed and would like to see more in ring. Voila is really nice too there are a few offspring of hers I like too dont remember the names off hand though.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

Just because it is a GSD doesn't mean that it will have an off switch. It really depends on the breeding and lines behind the dog. My dog doesn't have an off switch, I can make him settle by giving a command but that's it. IMHO a good working bred GSD has a ton of drive aand never quits.

My own boy is a big dog at 92 lbs. I'd prefer a male around 70 tops. With a bigger dog comes the worry about breaking down sooner and wear and tear on joints. Judge is fast and quick but to be completely honest, he physically will never be as agile as a smaller GSD or Mal. I would keep that in mind when looking at breeders. Some lines can throw large dogs.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

Thats why its important to research your lines carefully both for off switch and size not that its a tell all but certainly better then going in blind. Tons of drive can still come with an off switch. At to size yup I agree with you there I have no use for a dog that big for what I want.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 AM
Top Dog

I researched him extensivly before I bought him. He is what I wanted except his size.

All I will say is good luck. The high drive GSDs I know have no off switches and the ones I have see with off switches aren't spectacular working dogs, just mediocre. I think personally its an all or nothing thing with a GSD.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

I don't know, my dogs can spend a fair amount of time just laying around. I think anyone would be hard pressed to find Mal, Dutchie or GSD with more drive than my one bitch.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Research away, sometimes you still get a dog like mine. Moderate to high drive (yup, he's not the driviest male I've ever met), reactive, hyperactive, and someone forgot to install his off switch at the factory.

The higher the drive the less likely the off switch ime. Truth is, I wager, the higher the drive it's usually coming from lines established by breeders who don't care if the dog has an off switch.

Backups breeder laughed when I said he'd be a house dog, I figured I'd show her and oh look... 2.5 and she's still laughing.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Research away, sometimes you still get a dog like mine. Moderate to high drive (yup, he's not the driviest male I've ever met), reactive, hyperactive, and someone forgot to install his off switch at the factory.

The higher the drive the less likely the off switch ime. Truth is, I wager, the higher the drive it's usually coming from lines established by breeders who don't care if the dog has an off switch.
I think the dogs with no off switches are often coming from breeders who only have their dogs for the purpose of sport and don't know or care how they act otherwise because they live in kennels. As you have seen with Backup hyperactivity and drive don't necessarily go together anyway.

I also think a lot of people accidentally encourage their Mals from a young age to be crazy and impulsive because they mistaken it as a sign of drive or toughness. Also just being kept as kennel dogs will tend to bring out the worst in this sort of dog. Sometimes, the dog just is what he is genetically and I think that is a given. But sometimes, I believe things could have been different in a different circumstance.

ETA: I don't want you to think I'm implying you've done anything wrong with Backup and that's why he is the way he is. I'd think of him more along the lines of he is what he is. Same with Harry.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Glutton for Crazy

No I understand and agree, honestly backup isn't the ultimate norm for the breed nor is he ideal in some ways (he's really, really hard to shape with) but he's still an amazing dog else wise (he won't give up - almost to a fault, and will try anything without thinking if you say do it for your tug - literally he's a jump first ask maybe dog, he'd have been amazing on a swat team lol).

He was bred by a kennel breeder and he started his first 7 months in a kennel. We started off switch training when we got him but it has been a life long process and sometimes I get tired of asking for never ending down stays for the same reasons I tire of crating- I'm a softie.

I believe the off switch is partially breeding and partially training but in the end you'll still get some of these Harry and Backup dogs and hopefully people are comfortable with that and pleasantly surprised when they get an Aeri or Panzer.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I should also clarify where backups drive is lacking is food. He doesn't care at all about food. Praise is also not a long lasting motivator, he will come a bit for it but in the end he'll bore and stress. His world begins and ends with something he can put in his mouth. It's made life challenging but the more I figure him out the more I start to think those with an outside perspective are right, he's actually a pretty dang good dog. Hyperactivity, barking, spinning, edgy intensity, and all. lol

Sorry for going so far OT. I can relate this back to my gsd clients, I have an IPO bred GSD that rivals the Malinois I know, and a friend with a GSD who is almost a carbon copy (a bit slower due too size) of Backup, he's also IPO bred.

IME you don't need ring sport bred dogs to find crazy if that's your goal, just be sure to evaluate what is higher on your list crazy or off switch because they more often than not don't come hand in hand.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

And a great point made by a few others already is that you can research all you want and still end up with a weirdo dog, puppies are a crapshoot. I'm seriously considering going with a green young adult for my next dog so that I know what I'm getting.

I know there is a small group of people near Montreal that breed and trial GSDs in Ring. I'm not sure if they have a kennel name though.