Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

Dang he is a cute lemur. Which is probably a good thing for his well being LOL.

At least your Mals will play with toys. The Sibe/GSD mixes don't really give a crap about toys... Lily has spastic husky zoomies around the house on a pretty regular basis and now Scout sorta joins in even though she still doesn't really get it (she's more GSD). Scout pants all the time and is always coming up and rooting her head under my arm. Lily just comes up and stares me down. Then there is the wrestling on my head when I'm in bed, lol. I would not leave either loose unattended in a yard ever, they'd find some bad way to amuse themselves.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Pacing def seems to be a breed trait to some extent. Aeri is no where near BackUp but she will pace if left out in the yard alone (and has done it for hours on end when I was trying to see if it would extinguish - it takes between 4 and 6 hours to do so) and when she wants something (go outside, water, etc.).
LOL the yard pacing definitely doesn't extinguish but I always figured it was a perk - the self exercising dog Really, I don't give much thought to the dogs obsessive pacing outside. I mean, I guess I thought it was strange with the Black Belgian's fence running for hours on end but now it doesn't seem that strange anymore. Whim doesn't pace too much outside but she chases the dogs who pace while carrying, biting and shaking toys. A dog I got back as an adult didn't pace the yard but ran full force back and forth across the deck while the other dogs paced and Whim chased. Outside time was quite a scene while she lived here Jagger doesn't pace but he will jump up and down, up and down, up and down at the back door until you let him in and once he starts he won't stop, no matter how long you try to wait him out (guess that doesn't extinguish either!). None of them pace like that indoors or act too wild inside. Of course, inside they are also always a little worried about upsetting old Queen Dog. Loki runs a tight ship and I don't think she'd stand for too much pacing or activity in the house. Even Savvy is on his best behavior when he's around her.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

I've always liked the Malinut page for info on the breed: http://malinut.com/ref/faq/
Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Professional Nerd

Harry had no off switch. He paced constantly and never sat still when we were awake. At night we heard him going up and down the stairs and roaming the house. He would stop and recharge for 10-20 minutes, then he was back up again. His recharge dock was the landing between the first and second floor so that he could keep an eye on two floors at once. He was an extremely territorial and defensive dog. Harry's outlook on life was like that of a paranoid Secret Service agent, or Brock Samson from the Venture Brothers.

This video always makes me smile. It really captured Harry being Harry as we went on with life trying to do something that didn't involve Harry. He was like this most of the time.

http://youtu.be/SDL4F0XOsYw

I think Stan will have a better off switch. At 8mo he actually stops to chew a toy occasionally.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I love it LOL oh the similarities.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I love that you of all of my friends can truly understand the state of my household with Harry/Backup vs Grant/Arnold&Shamoo. LOL oh the similarities.

Exactly.

Before I got Harry I was sure I was ready. Grant was from a performance breeder. Dogs from that line were known for being a handful. A guy in my club was an APBT person getting into Malinois and he told me that I didn't get it yet. I didn't believe him. Well, he was right.

Stan's breeder focuses more on agility, obedience, and herding. He's still a really intense, driven dog, but he doesn't have the sharpness. He's got a clearer head and isn't as obsessive.

With Harry, we always said he didn't sleep. He just waited.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I edited that because I was worrie it sounded wrong, lol glad you understood!

I totally agree, they wait. :P

Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Blackout

Well thanks so much for the info!

Hmm...hyper indeed lol. When out on walks/training sessions though do you find them more scatterbrained/easily distracted or focused on you and the work/task at hand? was curious about that
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Out on a walk sometimes Backup seems downright awkward. He will settle for wandering aimlessly and peeing and what not but he's ever focused on me, always returning to tug on the leash or bark at me, basically walks alone bore him and he wants more interaction from me.

Backup seems more content on walks when allowed to carry something the whole time, I think it satisfies his task oriented brain.

I take a lot of photos of my dog. LOL

Sloan is happily constantly patrolling for her next victim be it a bird, cat, or human who shouldn't be where ever she determines as wrong.

She's a far more reactive dog than he is when it comes to natural guarding. Unless you count the car, Backup is truly dangerous in the car, he's mistakenly almost bitten both of us because he gets so engaged in guarding the car that he forgets we own it, not him. He's not nearly as protective of us or the house.

On the training field they are most at home, no matter the sport, they love to work, they love to train, and they love to play.

I do not believe honestly my dogs would be content as purely pets.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Blackout

LOL @ the soda bottle in his jaws

Thanks so much!

Well, Malinois are indeed creatures in a realm/class of their own it seems. Nothing in what you posted in the videos really disturbed/shook me up lol. If I did end up getting one I'd be doing alot of obedience and perhaps agility with him to begin with, then schutzhund aiming towards Rally-O and French Ring eventually. Two hour jogs/sprints daily aren't daunting tasks to me and for sure I'd keep him occupied when not at training with little tasks but I'll see where I am in a year from now then go from there I guess...

Katalin's occasional pacing and obsession with tennis balls already gets my parents and brother abit...concerned lol, I don't know what they would be saying about a Malinois that just kept bouncing around!
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard