Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
yeah, KNPV is huge in north america
Lol, that's what I was thinking.

GSDs are far more suited to IPO than to Ring sports. Sure, are there are some that are very competitive in Ring 3, but they are they exception, not the rule. Most people who want to compete in ring will do so with a Mal.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

No not huge that isn't what you ask now is it? You asked what's worth anything. But there is a very fair number doing in North America yes ( Mal/Dutch, KNPV Mutts). I know Im going against what most are bred for that's why Im asking others if they knew any because I care very little about IPO. I prefer HH but GSD is the compromise.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

I screw around with FR stuff with my boy. Bur the closest club is 5 hours away from me. We do PP type stuff as well to vary from IPO. But for the most part you wont find a lot of FR GSDs. For one thing, the size is a big deterrent for decoys. Catching a large GSD that is hard hitting on a leg bite can easily blow a kknee out. Same with the large Mals which is why *I* think I see more small Mals in FR.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Glutton for Crazy

What is it about IPO you dislike? When you were trialing did you find a particular thing unsatisfactory?

Why do you call the breed HH?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
What is it about IPO you dislike? When you were trialing did you find a particular thing unsatisfactory?

Why do you call the breed HH?
Oh oops didnt even notice I did that Hollandse Herder when Im talking to people in some countries... Its been a long day. Its not a particular dislike really just a preference and more what Im used to. Im not looking to do anything competitively if I were Id just get a KNPV bred mutt and trial in Europe. If only I had an infinite amount of money to do that

But I am not looking for a breeder to get a pup more just interested interested in looking into lines I know of a few that have FR3 dogs from resent going back into the 60-70's some further maybe I didnt dig that deep into it.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
For one thing, the size is a big deterrent for decoys. Catching a large GSD that is hard hitting on a leg bite can easily blow a kknee out. Same with the large Mals which is why *I* think I see more small Mals in FR.
Plus, in the higher levels of ring, the esquive is a big part of the bitework. Smaller Mals are much more agile and able to adjust to the decoy's moves at the last minute, whereas a fast decoy could dodge a large slow GSD all day. Then there are the crazy jump heights and lengths which are also easier for lighter Mals and impossible (or much harder on the body) for some larger GSDs.

Of course, these are generalizations, but like you said, there's a reason that you see a lot of small Mals in ring.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLeigh View Post
Oh oops didnt even notice I did that Hollandse Herder when Im talking to people in some countries... Its been a long day. Its not a particular dislike really just a preference and more what Im used to. Im not looking to do anything competitively if I were Id just get a KNPV bred mutt and trial in Europe. If only I had an infinite amount of money to do that
I'm still curious why the preference and what you think will be better than the time you spent trialing in IPO.

I ask this of anyone changing sports actually, just for curiosity sake.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I'm still curious why the preference and what you think will be better than the time you spent trialing in IPO.

I ask this of anyone changing sports actually, just for curiosity sake.
Oh I dont mind Im not changing thats the problem I dont think I would like IPO as much. But Im pretty anti change to anything I would prefer a KNPV dog but I think Im the only one in my house that wouldn't want to kill him on a daily basis. So a breed with more of an off switch (aka having one) is a must. I may end up when the time comes quite a few years from now just end up doing some PP work if I dont move some where closer to a group I think I can title with. Im not set on GSD but Im kinda limited I was thinking about a Beauceron from LES OMBRES VALEUREUX. Or from Tim Welch if I could get an Avatar baby dont know if he is breeding him again though. Or just an Avatar clone....
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Avatar is a nice dog... Not sure he's anything like a knpv dog but nice.

IPO tests the handler a lot, asks for strict control, obedience, drive but balance, focus, and composure. It's hard for some people to enjoy because of that challenge, it gets at your nerves.

We have considered training with the MR group here but I like more structure. Eventually we'll put Sloan on a suit tho but not until her IPO career is where we want it, she's already too prone to be dirty.

I know a lot switched to MR for the sheer number of bites, I'm always interested tho in reasons, I misunderstood and thought you had experience in IPO.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Top Dog

Nope just other way around its more of a case of I know what I like I dont know if Ill like this so why rock the boat? Avatar is a FRIII boy with some really great dogs behind him. If she is a dirty biter youll have tons of fun in MR But where I am now I dont know any clubs to train with just some individual people there was talk of us all getting a group going but that was 2 years ago and it hasn't gone anywhere. Your making IPO sound appealing though I like the amount of control and for once I wont be the terrible one liking an off breed XD (other then my fancy for Dutchies of course).