Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Aleron's Avatar
Aleron Aleron is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
[b]

I've NEVER heard of a co-own contract where the breeder paid for anything. Every contract I've seen, the owner is responsible for ALL costs involved in showing/health testing/etc. [\QUOTE]

It really isn't that uncommon to have co-owners share expenses in some manner. Not all breeders are only out for themselves. Many of the heavily campaigned dogs have co-owners who sole involvement with the dog is paying for the dog's show career.

[\QUOTE]
The contract stated the dog could be reclaimed if being kept in unsuitable conditions. The breeder decided that crating the dog while the owners were at work constituted "unsuitable conditions" and used that as her reason to
I think many breeders have such things in their. Interacts, co-own or not. It would still be on the breeder to take the owner to court and prove the dog isn't being cared for, if the owner doesn't willingly surrender the dog to them.
__________________
Nikki & the Herding Breed Variety Pack
Visit Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Alerondogs
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Teal Teal is offline
...ice road...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto8 View Post
I will pay for my showing and health testing, but if my breeder wants the boy collected then it will be in our contract that she will pay for it. I will also have breeding rights, but I have no immediate plans to breed and would never do anything without my breeders blessing


I think that's the key - having every little detail in writing. And discussing it all first.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
If I took a picture of him that he didn't look fantastic in (I.E. any "candid" shots of him playing) they would insist I took them down.


I removed a breeder that I co-own with from my Facebook for this exact reason. Drove me F'ing nuts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I think many breeders have such things in their. Interacts, co-own or not. It would still be on the breeder to take the owner to court and prove the dog isn't being cared for, if the owner doesn't willingly surrender the dog to them.


Yes, most contracts do include this. But it's all in the wording. In this particular contract, it stated "conditions that the breeder deemed unsuitable" - so there was no taking to court for someone ELSE to rule if the situation was unsuitable. When I was shown the contract, I was in awe at the wording... on the surface, it looked fine and dandy, or to someone unfamiliar with the intricacies of breeding.. but it was really a minefield.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Aleron's Avatar
Aleron Aleron is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I think many breeders have such things in their. Interacts, co-own or not. It would still be on the breeder to take the owner to court and prove the dog isn't being cared for, if the owner doesn't willingly surrender the dog to them.
Yikes...iphone rather screwed that up LOL

I think many breeders have such things in their cobtracts, co-own or not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post

Yes, most contracts do include this. But it's all in the wording. In this particular contract, it stated "conditions that the breeder deemed unsuitable" - so there was no taking to court for someone ELSE to rule if the situation was unsuitable. When I was shown the contract, I was in awe at the wording... on the surface, it looked fine and dandy, or to someone unfamiliar with the intricacies of breeding.. but it was really a minefield. [/b]
They would still need to pursue legal avenues to get the dog back, no matter what the wording unless the owner willingly handed the dog over.
__________________
Nikki & the Herding Breed Variety Pack
Visit Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Alerondogs
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 AM
monkeys23's Avatar
monkeys23 monkeys23 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,449
Default

I think that with the right breeder I would be comfortable with it. If I do not end up with a rescue (ahem, lol), I've already started getting to know via email the breeder whom is my top choice and I know she does a lot of co-owns with dogs she wants to keep breeding rights to.

The element of ensuring the dog would safely end up back in the right place should something happen to the owner it lives with didn't even occur to me, genius!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Teal Teal is offline
...ice road...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
They would still need to pursue legal avenues to get the dog back, no matter what the wording unless the owner willingly handed the dog over.


Well, apparently the owner of this dog didn't know that... because when the breeder came for the dog and said the owner was required by contract to hand the dog over, they didn't think they had a choice because of how the contract was worded :-/
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Aleron's Avatar
Aleron Aleron is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post

The element of ensuring the dog would safely end up back in the right place should something happen to the owner it lives with didn't even occur to me, genius!
It only works if the people who are taking care of the owner's estate know the dog is co-owned, have contact info and are willing to arrange for the dog to go back. Sadly some dogs end up in shelters who have co-owners or breeders who would have taken them back if they had known the dog was about to end up homeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post


Well, apparently the owner of this dog didn't know that... because when the breeder came for the dog and said the owner was required by contract to hand the dog over, they didn't think they had a choice because of how the contract was worded :-/
That really is sad
__________________
Nikki & the Herding Breed Variety Pack
Visit Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Alerondogs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site