Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 07-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Puppy Dog

like i said in my last post my mom and dad usto breed them and we had cats and alot of other animals around on our farm we never had a problem.so im trying to stay positive on this point
Old 07-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyedlette View Post
i know some pits may become dog aggressive and may not like cats but out of all my years with the breed i havent had that problem so im hoping it wont happen with this one. and yes i do have an alternative if that does happen but with good training and good socialization that shouldnt happen..
The bolded part is not true AT ALL. You need to understand that. Dog aggression is largely genetic (esp in APBTs) and you cannot socialize it away. And it often rears its head longs after puppyhood, more like the 2-3 years old range. NO amount of socialization will eliminate DA if it is genetically present in your dog.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:54 AM
SevenSins

Quote:
like i said in my last post my mom and dad usto breed them and we had cats and alot of other animals around on our farm we never had a problem.so im trying to stay positive on this point
I currently breed APBTs, my dogs aren't even working or gamebred, they're UKC show bred, and even I own some dogs that will (and have) killed cats, would kill small dogs if they have an opportunity, and again, if they have the opportunity will fight other dogs. It has nothing to do with crossing your fingers, "staying positive" and hoping for the best. It has very, very little to do with socialization or how you raise them. It's a breed trait.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Puppy Dog

Ok... well i do have a backup plan when/if that times comes she becomes aggressive.. but i do like to stay positive on all outlooks so i apoligize. if there is any ADVICE ud like to give me that would be most appreciated. i understand the traits in this breed ive owned a few in my lifetime and have had small dogs and cats and they did fine with them. i dont plan on leaving her with them while i am gone just for that fact of coming home and my little ones are.. hurt in anyway. i have a set up for the small ones while i am gone ( crate trained ) and i am working on her also to be crate trained during the times i am absent from the house.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Just be careful, please.

Living with a housemate doesn't mean one day they won't argue, this is true for any breed of dog. Unfortunately with pit bulls their ability to just grumble and argue is a very short fuse.

Don't be foolish, always supervise interactions, never leave a pit bull alone with another animal just because they are fine while you are there. They may always be fine but they may have one moment that causes a domino effect and unfortunately the other animal will not fair well.

ETA: posted while you posted, glad to see you seem aware of being safe when they're alone.

Otherwise, enjoy the puppy stage They grow up quickly!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

Awww, what a sweet looking puppy! Please do post more pictures as the little one grows!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
i know some pits may become dog aggressive and may not like cats but out of all my years with the breed i havent had that problem so im hoping it wont happen with this one. and yes i do have an alternative if that does happen but with good training and good socialization that shouldnt happen..
Training and socialization will make for a happy and obedient dog, but it won't do anything to stop dog aggression from presenting in your dog.

You most definitely can manage DA, but you cannot cure it nor train it out of your dog.

You really need to be aware, and never get complacent, as DA can all-of-a-sudden appear at any time. I've had dogs exhibiting DA at 10 months, and I've had one that didn't turn on until 5 (and let me tell you about that bloodbath in my living room from her and a male that were loose in there ).

Fwiw, NONE of my dogs had/have tolerance for cats or little dogs (and I've owned a LOT of true APBTs). I've had some dogs that were pretty much cold (no reaction to other dogs), but even those dogs had issues with "prey" smaller than them. I've never, and never will, get an APBT with the thinking that it will be a "friend" to my other dog(s). I always bring them in as an "only dog", and then go about finding out whether or not it can be safely allowed to have some play time with another dog or not.

You're going to have to be really rigid and strict in your management of your pets, and remember that there's rarely such a thing as an "accident". Almost always it's a lapse in judgement and/or responsibility.

As for the guy you got this dog from, he sounds like your typical backyard breeder of "pit bull" mutts, meaning there's little chance the dog is purebred anything. All he cares about is cash in his pocket, and as long as people continue to provide him with such cash, he'll continue to pump out nondescript dogs in his backyard.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:57 PM
...ice road...

Quote:
but with good training and good socialization that shouldnt happen..

Please do some research on bull breeds, as you obviously know nothing about them.

Quote:
Ok... well i do have a backup plan when/if that times comes she becomes aggressive.. but i do like to stay positive on all outlooks so i apoligize.

To people actually involved in the breed, dog aggression isn't a "negative" - it's a normal breed trait that you have to accept.

Dare I ask what your back up plan is?