Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-23-2012, 05:25 AM
StephyMei1112's Avatar
StephyMei1112 StephyMei1112 is offline
Blackout
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: No fixed abode.
Posts: 922
Default Malinois

No need to get up in arms everyone - my hands are full with the one kuvasz right now as it is. I'm just speculating and wondering for the future - very far into the years kinda future.

Just wanted abit more info about Malinois in general and a deeper understanding of them. I know they are hyper, should have a on/off switch, have drives that can be hard to manage if you don't know how, can develop aggression issues easily, need huge amounts of exercise daily, requires creative training approaches and fresh methods to keep them interested, does well at schutzhund/obedience/agility/nose work etc and seriously needs a JOB. Am I missing anything?
__________________
Feudin' and fightin' and a-fussin,'
That's all that's goin' on with us'n!
We are such neighborly people, peaceful and sweet!
All except when we happen to meet.


Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."


"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Aleron's Avatar
Aleron Aleron is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
No need to get up in arms everyone - my hands are full with the one kuvasz right now as it is. I'm just speculating and wondering for the future - very far into the years kinda future.

Just wanted abit more info about Malinois in general and a deeper understanding of them. I know they are hyper, should have a on/off switch, have drives that can be hard to manage if you don't know how, can develop aggression issues easily, need huge amounts of exercise daily, requires creative training approaches and fresh methods to keep them interested, does well at schutzhund/obedience/agility/nose work etc and seriously needs a JOB. Am I missing anything?
I think it would be more helpful if you said what you would be looking for in a dog, what things are unacceptable and what sort of activities you would enjoy. A lot of what you have just listed are sort of generic traits for a Mal...or a lot of other active herding breeds. What matters more is what made you consider a Mal? What are you hoping for if you decide to get one? Do you have any concerns?
__________________
Nikki & the Herding Breed Variety Pack
Visit Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Alerondogs
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM
CrystalGSD's Avatar
CrystalGSD CrystalGSD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 430
Default

I currently am a part of a German Shepherd group, and they are described most commonly as "Lightweight Shepherds on Crack"... Probably not accurate, but I've heard it so many times that I'd think I'll share it. I met one Malinois, and it was really hyper and didn't seem to have an off switch. Sure they should, but this one sure didn't.

I personally think you hit the nail on the head with the description, but of course, I'm no Mal expert.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Maliraptor's Avatar
Maliraptor Maliraptor is offline
Bite me.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California- The Desert Part
Posts: 820
Default

A Malinois reality is not our own.

VERY FEW (10% MAYBE?) have an off switch.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2012, 12:38 PM
jenv101's Avatar
jenv101 jenv101 is offline
Bite Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,581
Default

Mine have a "standby mode"... that's about it
__________________

~Aura & Riley~
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM
CharlieDog's Avatar
CharlieDog CharlieDog is offline
Rude and Not Ginger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
Mine have a "standby mode"... that's about it
Bwahahahahaha.

For the record, Dutch Shepherds seem to be the same way. Indy will lay down and chew a bone or stare at me, and sometimes she sleeps, but if I shift even slightly, she's up and coming over to put her head in my lap.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Aleron's Avatar
Aleron Aleron is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Bwahahahahaha.

For the record, Dutch Shepherds seem to be the same way. Indy will lay down and chew a bone or stare at me, and sometimes she sleeps, but if I shift even slightly, she's up and coming over to put her head in my lap.
Is this what most people consider "no off switch"?
__________________
Nikki & the Herding Breed Variety Pack
Visit Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Alerondogs
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Maliraptor's Avatar
Maliraptor Maliraptor is offline
Bite me.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California- The Desert Part
Posts: 820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Is this what most people consider "no off switch"?
Not me, that's an off switch. :P

We have 3 with off switches, two are half brothers. It's not a coincidence.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2012, 06:55 PM
PWCorgi's Avatar
PWCorgi PWCorgi is offline
Priscilla Winifred Corgi
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twin Citay!
Posts: 14,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Bwahahahahaha.

For the record, Dutch Shepherds seem to be the same way. Indy will lay down and chew a bone or stare at me, and sometimes she sleeps, but if I shift even slightly, she's up and coming over to put her head in my lap.
You guys all need to continue making these mal threads so that I can keep my resolve of "never having a mal, it would make me miserable"
The above statement being a prime example of why I would be miserable
__________________

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi


*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM
StephyMei1112's Avatar
StephyMei1112 StephyMei1112 is offline
Blackout
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: No fixed abode.
Posts: 922
Default

Exercise isn't a problem - I'm very outdoorsy and can keep up with hyperness lol. I wanted a dog that would be suitable for schutzhund, agility, and possibly French ring/Rally-O as well. If I did get one I'd definitely keep him really really occupied - the physical compactness and abundance of energy made me think of a Mali over a GSD. Anyways - I'm not terribly sure at all and this is all just pure speculation and curiosity at this point; next dog is one and a half to two years into the future at least. So we shall see.

I've met a handful...they're fast as lightning, incredibly quick reflexed, agile, and when in tune with their handlers...pretty spectacular.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I think it would be more helpful if you said what you would be looking for in a dog, what things are unacceptable and what sort of activities you would enjoy. A lot of what you have just listed are sort of generic traits for a Mal...or a lot of other active herding breeds. What matters more is what made you consider a Mal? What are you hoping for if you decide to get one? Do you have any concerns?
__________________
Feudin' and fightin' and a-fussin,'
That's all that's goin' on with us'n!
We are such neighborly people, peaceful and sweet!
All except when we happen to meet.


Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."


"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site