Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-21-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm All Ears

Default Let's talk Cardis

I know I'm asking about a thousand breeds lately but this is one I haven't spent much time around until recently and I do really like the ones I've met. I'm not sure if they're typical cardi though since they're all related.

I haven't ever been a big fan of pemmies to be honest *ducks and hides* The ones I know are overly snarky and just too much attitude for me. The cardis seem a lot more even keeled? Is that a good assumption? I like some attitude but pemmies (and ACDs) just seem like too much attitude.

These cardis are all sports dogs and they look like a lot of fun. Very tug and toy motivated, very 'up' kinds of dogs that always seem to be having tons of fun when they're training. They strike me as happy goofballs and unlike some breeds that seem to work to work, they work to have fun. They're not super fast like the dogs I tend to go for though, which I'm sure is more an issue of leg length than anything else. They're surely not slow dogs by any means though.

Anyways, they've struck me as very fun little dogs but I am not sure I'd consider them. I'm just curious if these guys sound in line with the breed as a whole.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Glutton for Crazy

No info... I love them.

Get one, let me live vicariously. Kthnx.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

We have two and we *love* them. They're half-sisters and 100% different from each other LOL They're both wonderful with children and we can take and travel with them anywhere, in any atmosphere, with no worries. They're very "safe" and active dogs. Teach them the rules and they will try their best to follow them, very literally. They both get along with dogs although Eden *loves* them and Poppy tolerates them. They're wonderful in our pack.

Eden is the abnormal one. She is VERY social, outgoing, sweet, happy-go-lucky, nothing gets her down. She's got INSANE prey drive, loves to herd and is very enthusiastic about learning things with me. She's also very bright - she is learning at the same rate as Jason's Border Collie pup. She has a fantastic sense of humor and I can see her take note of things that make me laugh to do again later. I love her to no end and cannot imagine my life without her. She has no loyalty and loves everyone she meets and I have an extensive list of who gets her if something ever happens to me. She's an easy traveler, easy to train, easy to trial (she trials the same way she trains - no surprises). She's slow but always follows the rules, is consistent and predictable (I know what will "bother" her and what will catch her eye etc). Eden is more independent, she likes to be in the room with us but lying on the floor or gazing out the window (her fave indoor past-time).

Poppy is more classic Cardi. She's heavier boned and more serious. She is extremely loyal and is very much a "family" dog. She is way more athletic than a dog with her bone structure deserves to be. She's naughty LOL she gets into things, cannot resist, so she has to be watched. She has a sense of humor but it's not as blatantly obvious to outsiders as Eden's. She is more low-key and less flashy and charismatic so mostly, outsiders don't notice her. But, she's incredibly sweet and Jason is really having a great time training her. She's fast and bright and is going to do very well in agility and probably well in flyball as well. She is much more clingy, likes to lay on us or nearby and have a good chew on a toy.

They're both conformation bred dogs, not sports bred but were held back from conformation for one reason or another and then were placed in a performance home (ours). I don't know any Pemmies first hand, but I also prefer a more "serious" dog and one with a tail LOL

ETA: I have a very thorough blog on Eden from the day she came home and through about a month ago. I need to update. It will give you a good idea of what she was like when I got her vs the crazy, outgoing nutjob she is now!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

At work, long response to follow tonight...

Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

Cardis? What's their full names? Got any photos?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahlzK View Post
Cardis? What's their full names? Got any photos?
Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Angry hamsters...
Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
The ones I know are overly snarky and just too much attitude for me.
Ain't that the truth!!! I call it, "Corgitude". But yes, Cardi's DO have a different temperament from Pems.

Enda and Arther

I really don't know how to describe the comparison, Cardi owners have said their dogs are "more clown like", I've found them a bit more aloof with strangers than Pems, but definitely not as snarky.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm All Ears

Ahhh this thread makes me so happy! I don't know what it is about Cardis but they make me smile.

I love the look of Eden and Poppy, neither are as heavy as some I see. They're both gorgeous dogs. The ones in agility look a lot like them.

The more dog breeds I'm around in training, the more I start to seriously consider for 'one day'. Yours sound like so much fun! Might be a nice change of pace one of these days or another breed I could consider if I need something smaller/easier.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
At work, long response to follow tonight...
Btw, I am holding you to this.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I love the look of Eden and Poppy, neither are as heavy as some I see. They're both gorgeous dogs. The ones in agility look a lot like them.
We were very happy with how our "conformation" dogs shaped up!

Eden Before:

Eden After:

Poppy Before:

Poppy After: