"Pit Bull"????? I don't think so...

K

Kaydee

For the chazzers who are bully lovers, a question. There was just a news report of a pitbull attack in a nearby town. A 9year old called 911 that his younger sister was being mauled by the family dog. They say it took four bullets to kill the dog and it will be treated as a criminal case-I guess the kids being left alone, I don't know. But they mentioned the dog weighed 100pounds. I don't know from breeds but from all I've read...there are not 100 pound pit bulls...possibly a mix of something, but there are not 100 pound pit bulls. Am I correct???

Unfortunately my Dad lives in that town. I'm waiting for the predictable phone call " So how long do you think it will be before THAT DOG tries to eat Emmy?"
Gahhh, they don't headline say a GSD attack...or like Lennox they find out it was a rottie after the pitbull headlines...:(

Miakoda

Possibly an American Bully, which unfortunately shares the same generic name of "pit bull. But no, this was no APBT, AST, SBT, or BT.

What's the news station? I'd be glad to write a letter to them.

Maxy24

I remember a report over here of a 120 pound pit bull biting someone...uh huh. no APBT is that big, even if it's fat. But if it looks similar enough it gets labelled a pit bull, despite the lack of American Pit Bull Terrier in it.

LauraLeigh

Sadly, these days They don't even have to look similar.....

My friend with the bulldog? She was very rudely hollered at by a gentleman in town the other day, that pit bulls are banned breed and she shouldn't have that #%!* dog in town....

And my son's friend has a purebred absolutely gorgeous boxer, a woman at a motorcross event freaked out on him saying you can't have pit bulls here there's kids here!!!! He was speechless....

And the irony?

When I run into pitbull haters, I've often found out they hated "pitbulls" while they were petting Tallulah, talking about how pretty and sweet she is and asking what breed of dog she is, that they'd love to have one . . . :rolleyes:

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I need pictures.

A "normal" lab is 55 - 70 lbs. I can't tell you how many 25 lb and 130 lbers I've seen this year.

I once met a 20+ lb 18 inch papillon. A normal papillon is under 11" and under 10 lbs.

I'm just saying weight... isn't everything.

K

Kaydee

Possibly an American Bully, which unfortunately shares the same generic name of "pit bull. But no, this was no APBT, AST, SBT, or BT.

What's the news station? I'd be glad to write a letter to them.
News 4 New York

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Weight is actually pretty important for fitting in the standard of apbt.

Then again very few pit bulls are bred with standard in mind, or purity.

Arnold is oversized at 60 lbs and Shamoo is perfect at 40 lbs. It's amazing how many tell me Moo is too small and Arnold is perfect, dingbats.

K

Kaydee

And the irony?

When I run into pitbull haters, I've often found out they hated "pitbulls" while they were petting Tallulah, talking about how pretty and sweet she is and asking what breed of dog she is, that they'd love to have one . . . :rolleyes:
That happens alot, people will scurry to the street rather than walk past Sophie...but then we'll be at the park and some Molly will be kissing her and sniffing about those...sniff...awful pitbulls...on the other side of the park

Pops2

the main argument i use to shut down the nimrods arguing that pit bulls get that big is this
the largest actual weight class for matching in the USA is/was 60# meaning anything over that was a ridiculous freak of nature or crossbred. further, the overwhelming majority of matchdogs matched at weights of 35-50# (i'd estimate about 80% matched at these weights).

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Whats the difference between an american bull and a pit bull?
That depends on what you mean by "American Bull."

There is the American Bulldog, which was originally called the American Pit Bulldog and in the 1970s registered with the National Kennel Club (NKC) as such. Later the name was changed to American Bulldog to avoid confusion with the American Pit Bull Terrier. The American bulldog was recognized by the United Kennel Club on January 1, 1999. There are a few different "types" of American Bulldog, but they are all relatively large and powerful dogs. They can be anywhere between 20"-28" and 70-120lbs.

Then, there is the "American Bully." The American Bully was created in the mid-1990s. It was created by mixing American Pit Bull Terriers with bulldogs, Mastiffs and who knows what else. They are only about 17"-21" in height, but can be extremely exaggerated in weight, weighing anywhere from 70-120lbs.

The Pit Bull (American Pit Bull Terrier) is a Bull and Terrier breed that was first registered by the UKC in the late 1800's. They can be 14"-22" and (about) 35-65lbs.

This was a super brief explanation of the differences between the breeds.

People guess pit bull for Squash ALL THE TIME and it drives me nuts. He's 80ish pounds!

Usually I respond with some version of "well, he's a little big for that," and then usually get a blank stare back in response.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
People guess pit bull for Squash ALL THE TIME and it drives me nuts. He's 80ish pounds!

Usually I respond with some version of "well, he's a little big for that," and then usually get a blank stare back in response.
What morons, in that recent "smug" photo I can see maybe daddy ABD but pit bull? nada.

What morons, in that recent "smug" photo I can see maybe daddy ABD but pit bull? nada.
Yea ABD is my current best guess, not only based on appearance but apparently there is a somewhat prolific ABD "breeder" in the area where his mom was at the time of her violation.

Sorry for the tangent, but the point being... TOO BIG for a pit bull, people!

milos_mommy

People also LOVE to exaggerate how big their dogs are. Working with dogs for a living, lifting them a lot and weighing them a lot, I can usually accurately guess (within about a 10lb margin for error) how much a dog weighs.

I frequently have people say "oh, she weighs 120 lbs" about their Rottweiler or shepherd, who is more like...75 lbs. I had a woman once tell me her emaciated rescue rottie had gained 50 lbs since she got her. The dog was disgustingly thin when she was found, but it was more like a gain of 60 lbs to 80 lbs. Not 60 to 110.

It is true that most people are way out on guessing how big or small their dogs are. It always really annoys me when people say their little dog is only five pounds when the dog is obviously double that, the same way people say their dog is 100 lbs. and is probably only 60-70 lbs.

It is almost like people feel they have the best dog when it is the biggest or smallest.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Saxon is 38lbs, people ALWAYS guess that he is 50-60lbs. Seriously? Look at him! He doesn't even come up to my knees!

Members online

No members online now.