Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Blackout

Default Drinks other than water?

I was talking to a lady in a dog supply store today and she said that coconut water was healthy for dogs to drink - I personally don't care much for it and don't think it would hydrate a person or dog any better than regular water. I'd go for some over crap soda or processed juice anyday - but otherwise; meh.

It got me to thinking though - is coconut water beneficial at all for dogs? and is giving anything else other than water to dogs for a beverage/hydration recommended?

Other than abit of Tropiclean fresh breath additive occasionally, Katalin and other dogs in my past care have gotten nothing but water - well, there was that one time she knocked over a glass of cranberry juice and lapped quite abit up XD. But yeah - never really occurred to me to offer anything else for a drink.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 PM
orange iguanas.

I know that for people it's kind of viewed as the "healthier" version of Gatorade... as far as being good for rehydrating quickly. Coconut oil has all sorts of health benefits as well (er, supposedly... I just use it on my face hahaha), for dogs and people alike, so I would imagine coconut water falls along the same lines.

I guess I wouldn't like, fill a bowl with coconut water and give it to my dogs. Or buy it specifically for them. But if I were to have some (which I wouldn't) I wouldn't mind sharing lol. Dogs get enough from water, if I want the added benefits of some other product I'll just give it in addition to water like any other supplement.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Bite Club

Yeah coconut water is full of natural electrolytes and is better than the artificial kind of re-hydrating drinks like gatorade. I wouldn't give it to dogs on a regular basis, but if they were working really hard in extreme heat, it probably wouldn't hurt for them to have a little bit. Just make sure its the natural kind and doesn't have added sugar.

~Aura & Riley~