Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Yes, rescue is my first choice. I'm on the look out for the "ideal" dog, because I know he/she (preferably he) is out there.
I think that is really the way to go for what you want, and I wouldn't discount a herding dog mix. Gusto is half-BC, 25 lbs, crazy athletic, light framed, good off-leash, and easy to train. While he's an incredibly high energy dog and does need a lot of mental stimulation, he has none of the stereotypical BC obsessions.

If you want to stay away from hounds, terriers, and herding dogs, and want to stay under 35 lbs...that's pretty limiting for a high-energy frisbee dog. I'd keep an eye on rescue sites, and if there is a good herding dog specific rescue in your region, maybe even get in touch with them. They likely get a lot of calls on herding mixes as well, and can keep an eye out for you.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

Some of it depends on what your offleash needs are. If it's for disc dog, just about any dog who's into the disc game is probably going to be ok off leash because they will be otherwise engaged. If your interest is a dog that you can turn loose in the woods and hike with for hours, that often takes more training especially with active non-herders. If you want a dog who will hang out in his yard loose with excellent reliability, that takes the right dog, tons and tons of training and there is always some degree of risk involved.

A good read about sighthounds and being off leash (it's about Greys but can apply to a Whippet): http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogs...off-leash.html

A Brittany would pretty much fit everything you want. BC sized, extremely athletic, drivey, trainable, etc. Just how althletic? This is the one I know lure coursing http://youtu.be/lpqlyLsjhZQ They can be a bit tricky off leash too. Not because they run away but because they are bred to "run big" when they hunt, meaning they work really far from their handler. They can definitely be trained to stay closer/learn a reliable recall but it can take a lot of work.

Mini Poodles can be nice dogs too! I'm not sure about their potential in disc dog but I imagine if they are interested in retrieving, they would like it.

Last edited by Aleron; 07-18-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

I'd vote for a Poodle. They're super springy, maneuverable. They can jump like nobody's business and they're super brainy, quick learners and excellent at obedience. Great retrievers/hunting dogs. That's what I'm going for I think, if I ever get another dog. At least that's what I've been thinking for some time now.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Vizsla/Pointer type maybe?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

I've seen some awesome JRT's in frisbee and I actually know quite a few who are fine off leash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4cgUZjbI8A

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I second the idea of looking for a border collie/herding dog mix. Charlie is what I expect to be a possible Border Collie x JRT, and has the energy of the BC, but without the neuroticness you can see in some. We're actually plan on starting some disc dog stuff fairly soon.

I see you've mentioned terrier and miniature poodles as possible dogs. While the schnauzers have excellent recalls, learn quickly, and have the drive.. they are not really the "airborne" type (this may not be true for all terriers though). Lincoln, my miniature poodle, the same thing could be said, and while very springy I could see him doing disc dog, but not what I would go for if you were looking for something very competitive.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Top Dog

Thanks for all the insight.

I am not interested in competitive level sports at all. Perhaps I'll get sucked in once I start, but I'm really not a competitive person.

In terms of off-leash needs, I mostly want a dog that I can trust to take on off leash walks in parks and ravines. Most of these areas where I live are partially fenced, so if my dog were to take off after a critter, they could easily find themselves on a busy road in no time flat. I understand that regardless of training and breed, there is always some risk involved, but I'd rather put the odds in my favour and avoid a dog that is bred for critter chasing.

I think I'll stay with the rescue route and stay open minded about BC mixes. I might just foster for a while until the right dog finds me.