Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-27-2012, 05:28 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Yea they revamped the hatches too! So annoying because the extra slope on all the new designs made the cargo area less flexible.
The rear slope doesn't bother me. Keeps people from jamming crates all the way back in the crumple zone, and I can still put gear there anyway. The side slope is far less extreme...more "rounded" along the edges than sloped...but is a bit more annoying if you're looking for that extra upper corner space.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Then again at this point I will just be happy when I can use my hatch again. Figures some yahoo not paying attention crushes in the back end of my car right when I have a 50lb dog with a sore back. Picking her up and fitting her in the side door is a lot harder than doing the same at the rear door.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 06-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the responses! My mechanic says he gets some weird problems with Vibes/Matrix (Matrices?) and the parts are a pain to get in. He himself has a Subaru so obviously he likes them...I was looking around, will I really notice the difference in gas mileage to the CRV/Rav4? What about the Equinox? I don't know what to get?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhound View Post
The Fit probably won't fit all those crates.

Here is mine with 2 crates... an intermediate sized Ruff Tough Kennel and 36" Midwest icrate. I also have to scoot the passenger seat forward a bit.
Bummer! That takes out the Scion xD then I hate the look of the xB and it looks HUGE to me. So the 36" hits the hatch and the passenger seat back then?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I have an Acura MDX and I'm sure I could easily fit all of those crates.

However... my gas mileage is definitely NOT good. lol. I average about 17 in town and 20 on the highway. I do love the MDX, though!

Have you looked into the Honda Element? I was debating between the MDX and the Element, and the MDX won out because of the features. The Element is a really good dog car, though.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Oh my Outback averages 29 mpg. Varies somewhat. Recent roadtrip through low mountains (really big hills?) with all highway driving had me averaging 31.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I think the HHR, Outback, and the Scion are going to be your best bet... you might be interested in the Scion xB too, it's older so you could get a better deal if you can find one that isn't super high mileage on the odometer. I still remember YEARS ago when a friend picked me up from the airport, and I sat in the back of that thing staring around, and she finally said "So what do you think?" and my response was "YOU COULD FIT SO MANY DOG CRATES IN HERE!" hahaha.
The xB is going to be my next car. The only thing I'm sad about is that the rear seats don't fold flat. I haven't tried loading any crates into one yet but will be sure to do that before I purchase one.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

The Equinox will most likely be my next vehicle. BUT Leah drove one when her HHR was out of commission and the seats don't fold flat. My dogs are smaller so my crates are smaller, so I'm thinking it will still ultimately work for me. Not sure how it will work out for your crates and arrangement. But I don't think you'll be getting the MPGs you're looking for out of it either way. If you get the 4 cyl 2.4 FWD version, it seems most people are looking at about 30-32mpg highway. No AWD, you'll get even worse mileage out of that. So yeah... I don't think you'll be getting what you want out of that.
Personally I'll be going V6 even though that will drop down a few mpgs... but that's the kind of girl I am, I don't mind sacrificing a couple mpgs for MORE POWER ho ho ho ho ho </Tim the Tool Man Taylor>

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Have you looked into the Honda Element?
We have an Element, I'd like to get better gas mileage. We get about 23-24 hwy - I am using that to commute now in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
The Equinox will most likely be my next vehicle. BUT Leah drove one when her HHR was out of commission and the seats don't fold flat.

it seems most people are looking at about 30-32mpg highway. No AWD, you'll get even worse mileage out of that. So yeah... I don't think you'll be getting what you want out of that.
Oh, what year do you know? The seats folding flat is a must. My Pilot seats don't fold flat which drives me NUTS.

No, no that is great mpg - I know I am asking a lot for mpg AND all my crates. The Pilot gets 21 mpg on hwy so I would like better than that if at all possible!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Active Pup

Happyhound,

I'm thinking of buying the Honda Fit. Can you fit your 36" crate so it's parallel to the hatch? (Crate would have a side door.)

Could you fit two 36" crates that way? (One crate has side door to hatch, the other crate has front door to sidedoor of car.)

I've tried measuring with a tape measure at the dealership, but with the slight angle of the hatchdoor entry and the angling back of the front row seats, I'm not exactly sure if I'm picking the right spot for measuring.