Neighbour complained...

Miakoda

Well, here's the thing: If my dogs are enjoying an hour or two of fun time, and they're being loud (vocal) about it, get over it. However, I would not leave them out 24/7 to bark, howl, and whine.

An hour or two? I don't think that's acceptable. I mean, if they are playing for an hour or two and intermittently being loud that's one thing, but if they are noisy for an hour or two straight I do think that's rude. Around here I think the ordinances generally specify more than 5 minutes continuously as nuisance noise.

Maisy and Squash can be pretty dang loud when they play, but I do interrupt them every few minutes if they're being super loud.

Miakoda

Sass, I don't mean continuously screaming/barking/whining for a solid hour or two. Heck, that would drive ME insane! I just meant that if they were out there making noise off and on, "get over it".

My old neighbor used to mow his grass at 6:30 in the morning. Since our homes were close together, it always woke Cole and Carson (both as babies) up in the morning, as well as myself.

I've never complained about my neighbors mowing their grass early in the morning, nor when they were working on a wood project that required me to listen to a hammer and saw for hours on end.

People's activities make noise. My activities just so happen to be my dogs. You have your noise, I have mine.

I dont let my dogs bark continuously but yeah, they bark when they play and they are allowed to. Thats part of living in a neighborhood, noise from people, dogs, cars, etc. Again, not continuously for hours or anything but otherwise, no, dont complain.

ETA: oh I yell at kids to STFU all the time. There's a school yard for screaming, or the park.
This bothers me....children most definitely should feel free to play (including being loud) in their own yard!

ETA: oh I yell at kids to STFU all the time. There's a school yard for screaming, or the park.
First time I've ever been grateful for my neighbors.

I don't mind kids being kids and playing loudly, squealing, yelling or running around at all. That's what being a kid is about! And I equally don't mind dogs playing in their own yard making dog playing sounds.

There is one dog that lives in the buildings across the street (on the third floor so sound carries nicely) from me that has the most ear splitting yip ever and feels the need to bark at EVERYTHING that moves and doesn't stop. And to be honest I don't really care (makes my dogs look better) except that he sets off all the other dogs.

But yeah. my dogs bark. They're dogs. In the house I don't care and outside I keep the repetitive "I'm barking at you because you are there" down. But the barking while chasing or having zoomies and the overall noise fun times consist of? Free reign and good times.

And yeah, it's a neighborhood. That's the point, a lot of people live there and have kids, dogs and people existing so noise is going to happen and if you really can't deal with it, well then I wouldn't live in a neighborhood.

My dogs having crazy time might annoy someone but that same someone annoys me when he mows his lawn, uses his power tools and listens to the stereo starting at 7am. But, oh well. That's what happens when you live by people.

I know it must depend on where you are but I can't imagine ever being somewhere where you're yelled at because your kids and dogs are having fun in your own yard

Red.Apricot

I'm paranoid that our dogs are going to irritate someone.

What really scares me is that there's a dog sort of across the street that has a bark that sounds just like Elsie's, and they let it bark from 9AM to 5PM every single day (probably while no one is home). I'm afraid someone will take that out on Elsie by mistake.

Sass, I don't mean continuously screaming/barking/whining for a solid hour or two. Heck, that would drive ME insane! I just meant that if they were out there making noise off and on, "get over it".
That's what I figured you meant, because one or two hours of continuous noise... holy cripes. I'd kill my own dogs over that. :p

I'm very fortunate that pretty much everyone on my block has a dog and several have kids. So nobody gets bent out of shape over normal dog/kid noise. I don't care if your dog makes some noise, you don't care if my dog makes some noise, within reason of course.

Although there used to be a dog across the street we nicknamed "Barky Pete" because he did bark pretty excessively. I don't think anyone actually ever complained about even him, though, and eventually they moved away.

JacksonsMom

Sometimes I think people just have too much time on their hands. We've dealt with stupid neighbors over the years who just literally enjoy complaining. They're usually stay at home moms with older kids who literally just having nothing else to do lol. This same woman who used to complain about our dog was out every morning at 6am pounding field hockey balls against a big wood thing she made specifically for field hockey. :rolleyes:

I'd understand if your dogs were being absolutely a nuisance. But honestly? If you're going to live in a neighborhood, you're going to have to guess some neighbors will have dogs. If the dogs just bark 24/7 for no reason, that's a different story.

Gypsydals

Early in the morning(before 9) and late in the evening(after 9) I expect my two to be quiet. In between those two times, I allow more noise. I don't allow it to be continuous though especially if they are barking because someone is walking down the road or they are demanding something (Ivan). I figure if the neighbor can hammer away for hours on end and the kids across the road can be loud, then occasionally so can my dogs. Besides my two are no where near as annoying as the tiny tiny Chi with her shrill rapid fire bark.

Katem

Luckily most of my neighbours are super tolerant. Just the other day I had Bear and Pig out playing in their pool and upon hearing Pig's gremlin noises, my neighbour shows up with his dog so they could all play together. If the dogs are making an excessive amount of noise then sure, I'll tell them to cut it out. Otherwise it's just another sound of the neighbourhood. People are noisy sometimes and dogs are too.

Toller_08

I think it's more than a little ridiculous for a neighbour to complain about dogs playing. If it was a repetitive "BARKBARKBARK" that continued on and on, then yeah, that would annoy me too. But dogs playing generally do not bark non-stop. And if they do, their owner should be on top of them for it IMO. My dogs are very, very quiet to the point of neighbours being surprised that we have three large-ish dogs. I can be a bit paranoid about barking dogs after living beside people with obnoxious dogs that annoyed me and the entire neighbourhood/s for most of my life. The last thing I want is for my dogs to be the ones annoying people. But, they're still dogs and they definitely do make some noise. If I feel they're getting overzealous about it though, I interrupt and tell them to knock it off a bit.

The last house we lived in the stupid neighbours tried telling me to please keep my dogs quiet and inside from 8am until 5pm. Um, no. Why did they request this? Because their dogs needed to stay outside while they were working so they wouldn't destroy the house and the blinds by running and barking at passersby. So, instead, they put their three dogs in the yard to fence fight with mine, bark at everything, and howl constantly. Meanwhile mine ignored their dogs (and if they did get lured into fence fighting I was there to tell them to stop), played quietly together or with me, and were only out intermittently for bathroom breaks or to play for a bit throughout the day. I was not going to keep them cooped up all day because they and their dogs were idiots. These neighbours tried blaming my dogs for being the problem and I was so mad. I can't stand nuisance dogs and my dogs are not nuisances. I think these types of people just like to get mad at other dogs' owners because their dogs are easily set off by other dogs and people having fun or enjoying their yard, which makes their dogs harder for them to control. Which is probably their fault.

I can't imagine people getting mad about kids playing either. I hear kids all the time in my neighbourhood having fun and while they can definitely be loud sometimes, I wouldn't tell them to keep it down unless they were being really rude about it or something. But in all the years we've lived around kids, I've never felt the need to tell anyone to tone it down.

Kilter

The only issues we've had here with neighbours were the ones that were in the house next door before. But that was because they all had potty mouths, were loud, and it was so bad at times we'd have to leave the back yard or listen to them all cussing each other, kids telling the parents to go f off and so on. Yikes. Oh and the 17 intact cats/kittens were not amusing either, nor were their two dogs who used our front lawn or the park to potty themselves since the gates were broken and useless. Nothing like trying to get out the door to do something only to have their dumb dogs go into the garage and then snoop around and refuse to get out. Didn't want to leave them in there, didn't want to get bitten chasing them out (they were not friendly), and didn't want to leave the garage door open.... sigh.

At our old place there was a dog on a chain living in a car and eating out of cans, they'd open a can and give it to her to eat. Water was green. The laws are useless so there was nothing that could be done, even though the HS and the AC officers were there weekly because the dog barked NON STOP sometimes 24/7.

For now going to just rotate who is in and who is out and bring them in at 6 when it's the dinner hour, and hopefully that'll be ok with them. I can always bring Kilt to work and she'd be tired out by the time she's chased down all the dogs there too.

Members online

No members online now.