Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Big Dog

Default Did I fall for a line of bull?

I had Baloo neutered because I was told it would increase his life expectancy.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Blue_Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Yup, I'm just an idiot
I'm an idiot along with you then.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Yup, I'm just an idiot
Add another to the idiot list.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

We should totally have an idiot club. I want t-shirts!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I guess it can be summed up by saying... Americans are extremely uptight about dogs being left intact. And being so uptight tends to led to "issues" - both issues of perception and actual issues.
Interesting...I wonder how much of this is AR and how much is related to Americans having a more 'puritanical' attitude towards sexuality in general. I mean, look at how we treat human issues of birth control, teen pregnancy, etc. When you think about it, it's not totally surprising that we would extend those attitudes to our pets.

I'm always mystified when I hear well-intentioned people talking about a rescue dog that's had puppies as a "poor thing" and having to go through such a hardship that she never wanted, etc., etc. Ummm, it's a DOG. Nature intended females to reproduce and their instinct is to do so. Mama dogs are being mama dogs, not having regrets about having puppies out of wedlock.

And you guys aren't idiots! For some dogs, it *does* make a difference. The others are just saying that it's not true 100% of the time for all dogs.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

I often get accosted by people who try to "educate" me about my need to neuter Uncle Fred. I used to explain to people why he isn't neutered and then I gave it up. Now I just don't care what anyone thinks. Too busy to worry about it, just want to enjoy my time with my hound.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmom777 View Post
I often get accosted by people who try to "educate" me about my need to neuter Uncle Fred. I used to explain to people why he isn't neutered and then I gave it up. Now I just don't care what anyone thinks. Too busy to worry about it, just want to enjoy my time with my hound.
I'm so glad you can't tell if a dog is still intact just by looking Rosey's been happily running around with another dog, then I'll let it slip that she's intact and OMG I'M A HORRIBLE PERSON MY POOR DOG. It's like she has the plague or something, they can't get their dog back to them fast enough

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

I get caught between the two sides...I mean once it's done, it's done. There's no temptation to that average joe to change their opinion from "Oh I'll never breed my dog" to "Well...how about just one time..". Or for accidents, dogs getting away, etc.

Soldier is the only one here not neutered..I don't know, just never felt the need to do it. He does fight with Romeo but that might just be them..who knows.

I way prefer to spay females as dealing with hormones and blood and not being able to take them places when that hits...eh, not worth it to me.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Have you Considered “Zeutering” for Your Male Dog?

This article was very informative. It seems that the world of medical technology and advancement also applies to our four legged friends. Now there is a way to neuter your male dog without an excessive amount of pain and without removing their actual genitals.

This is basically a chemical process rather than surgical. You would simply take your pet to the veterinarian and they give them a single injection into their scrotum. The solution used is a mixture of Zinc gluconate, L-Arginine and water. Interestingly enough, just a single injection is enough to render your dog permanently sterile within about a month.

This formulation was introduced initially within the US and is now commercially available in several South American countries. It is approved (right now) for use on puppies and dogs between 3 and 10 months old.

I think this is a fantastic idea. It certainly beats taking your buddy in for actual surgery. Not to mention the pain that they feel after it is over, plus I am sure they are wondering exactly what happened to their private parts! In this case, I would imagine they have no idea at all and feel no pain at all, either.