Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
I suppose it's a question too however of maturity and being able to process the reality of combat. At twenty five or thirty is it any easier to deal with the expeience of war? I had a poli science prof who explained his early Vietnam experience as more or less a bunch of young guys who were basically fearless and saw the service as an adventure of sorts.

Of course it's different for everyone and he was relating it from 30 plus years before. And there was more funding for veterans services in those days
FTR
among actual combat veterans this generation has the highest percentage of people that actually aim in & pull the trigger (about 85%).
in ALL previous wars that number NEVER even reached 50%. the VA & DOD made these determinations through anonymous self reporting.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Which generation? The Vietnam gen or the current one?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:35 AM
My dog tickles my soul

I can't really say anything about the enlistment age. My gut reaction is to leave it as is, BUT I also have no real basis to make that decision. I do agree that support for veterans is vastly underwhelming, and perhaps that should be addressed before the enlistment age. That in itself may make a big difference.

That said, I do agree with lowering the drinking age. I personally believe that a lot of alcohol-related accidents (alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, etc.) could be avoided if it weren't illegal for parents to teach their teenage kids responsible drinking at home under close supervision.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Which generation? The Vietnam gen or the current one?
this one. even the viet nam generation reported mostly closing their eyes and shooting in the general direction.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
this one. even the viet nam generation reported mostly closing their eyes and shooting in the general direction.
Do they have any guess why? Weapon changes? (ease of use?) Desensitizing to violence through movies and video games? Distance from humanity through desensitizing? etc...

I'd love to know more, it's interesting to me.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
That said, I do agree with lowering the drinking age. I personally believe that a lot of alcohol-related accidents (alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, etc.) could be avoided if it weren't illegal for parents to teach their teenage kids responsible drinking at home under close supervision.
in many states the drinking laws only specify age in relation to purchase or specifically exempt parents permitting their own kids in their own home.
BUT most people including most cops don't know this and ASSume the drinking age is an absolute prohibition.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Kaydee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
FTR
among actual combat veterans this generation has the highest percentage of people that actually aim in & pull the trigger (about 85%).
in ALL previous wars that number NEVER even reached 50%. the VA & DOD made these determinations through anonymous self reporting.
I think thats a major part of the statistics. In WWII there were zillions of soldiers in face to face combat. But there were also soldiers like my Dad who was a chaplin's assistant...he often joked he spent half the war hauling the organ from one point to another. Those guys saw the casualties but weren't out on the frontlines either.

Soldiers who are out there now are often sent to areas in the middle of direct conflict and the nightmare of IEDs. The advances in medical care has been responsible for sending more wounded soldiers home than in previous conflicts. In WWII, if your legs were blown off you probably died on the field rather quickly. Now vets are saved even with multiple amputations and severe head injuries. Then sent home to a waiting list for veteran services.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

I think that more attention should be paid to the mental health of soldiers, even before signs of PTSD and the like show up. It's an abomination, IMO, that we send so many people into combat and don't make available the resources to care for them appropriately.

I just can't believe that PTSD and other emotional and mental effects of service are worse for this generation than prior generations. I think we understand mental health issues better now and people are more willing to talk about it.

I would have to have more information before supporting increasing the enlistment age. I think it's likely a number of other factors are in play.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Do they have any guess why? Weapon changes? (ease of use?) Desensitizing to violence through movies and video games? Distance from humanity through desensitizing? etc...

I'd love to know more, it's interesting to me.
the consensus seems to that first person shooter games had the greatest influence.