Bsskerville muzzle help.

Tazwell

So, I've been using a $5 plastic basket muzzle forever for fleetwood, and it seems to be somewhat uncomfortable for him. The muzzle is only on for short amounts of time anyway, but I wanted something nicer, more reliable, and treat friendly.

I bought a size 5 baskerville, and did my research on sizing first. I know they're hard to size. I got it in the mail, and it's huge. Its the perfect length for his snout, and it couldn't be any snugger on the sides of his muzzle . But height wise, its enormous! And bulky. I can literally fit my whole hand in the muzzle under his chin, no problem. It just doesn't seem right. It doesn't come off, no matter which way I pull it, but still... I did go to petco and try the next size down on him, and it was much too snug. No go.

I've attached two photos (sorry for cell phone quality) show what I mean.

So should I send it back? Order a different one?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I'm nooo expert, but that looks ok to me?? He can open his mouth and pant etc.

FG167

I bought one specifically for GSDs so that the nose piece was long enough but not so wide around the base.

I started with this cheapo one and he could fit his paw in the lower jaw part and pull it enough to get it stuck in his mouth...no matter how tight I had it on. Luckily I was home at the time and heard him thrashing and rushed to help...

Looks fine to me, I see what you're saying, but I don't believe going to a smaller size of that style will help. Personally, I have several like the tan one Kastle is wearing for Enda (it's not that one though with the divider, I can link to the one I have if you want?), she tends to get her teeth stuck out the sides and chews them trying to pick up toys with it on, but other than that I prefer them. The other of Kastle's, I hate those! Not that they aren't more secure of anything, but I don't find them comfortable for the dog ,comfort was key in our situation, so plastic or nothing! I have a heavy metal wire one for Jinjo, I just don't like it even though it's coated wire at that. And second I hate that strap that goes up the center of the head, YES, I know why it's there, for some dogs who like to get them off easy, but as long as that's not a problem for the dog, it isn't with End although it is with Jinj, I highly prefer not having it, and she does too.

If you're really not happy with this one, and the other plastic style one could work other wise in your situation, you can just cut out a few of the bars in the front or side of the muzzle for easier treating, just take some heavy duty toe nail clippers or wire nippers.

FG167

The other of Kastle's, I hate those! Not that they aren't more secure of anything, but I don't find them comfortable for the dog ,comfort was key in our situation, so plastic or nothing! I have a heavy metal wire one for Jinjo, I just don't like it even though it's coated wire at that. And second I hate that strap that goes up the center of the head, YES, I know why it's there, for some dogs who like to get them off easy, but as long as that's not a problem for the dog, it isn't with End although it is with Jinj, I highly prefer not having it, and she does too.

If you're really not happy with this one, and the other plastic style one could work other wise in your situation, you can just cut out a few of the bars in the front or side of the muzzle for easier treating, just take some heavy duty toe nail clippers or wire nippers.
Yeah, Kastle is "that" difficult dog so he *has* to have a muzzle like that. He can pull them off, he wedges the plastic one in the wire bars of his crate and yanks it off etc etc etc The center strap stops that for the most part (although he's still managed a time or two) and I need the heavier gauge wire because he bashes around in his crate when he's pissed off. He can pant, he can drink and he can take treats and that is what was important to me. They are pricey though, I bought the kind with the heavy felt padding around the nose too so I spent around $40-$50 I think. Very pleased with the quality, wish I didn't have to use it :(

Tazwell

Is that a Dean & Tyler brand muzzle? If so, they look awfully comfy and durable-- but really out of my price range. Truly the plastic basket muzzle (much like the one you pictured) works very well, its very secure. Just a tad too small. I suppose I could try a size up.

The Baskerville is so large around the base, that he could easily get his entire paw in there. I don't think he could pull it off, and of course he won't be unsupervised. I really just want to make sure it's secure, and it won't be compromised in the event of a dog fight.

What size did you go with? This is the exact one I bought for End from Jeffers:

We bought the size 7 and it fits her perfect! But I'd assume he's bigger than her, and maybe the next size up might be better?

FG, I don't think you have to say it, I'm sure we all feel that way! It does get tiring trying to explain to house guest "No she's not vicious! She wears it so she doesn't try and eat him *points to Jinj*".

FG167

FG, I don't think you have to say it, I'm sure we all feel that way! It does get tiring trying to explain to house guest "No she's not vicious! She wears it so she doesn't try and eat him *points to Jinj*".
It is exhausting! Only in my case, it sounds even more dumb..."He has to wear a muzzle because he's an enraged bar biter..." Ugh. I show conformation with this idiot so the chips out of his teeth from bar biting (he has in fact figured out how to pop the front panel off his wire crate *and* open the door...) at 1 year old really irritate me!

ETA: he had to wear a muzzle 24/7 for two weeks becuase he smashed his teeth out in a head on collision with another dog (accident), that's when the muzzle experience came into play...

It is exhausting! Only in my case, it sounds even more dumb..."He has to wear a muzzle because he's an enraged bar biter..." Ugh. I show conformation with this idiot so the chips out of his teeth from bar biting (he has in fact figured out how to pop the front panel off his wire crate *and* open the door...) at 1 year old really irritate me!

ETA: he had to wear a muzzle 24/7 for two weeks becuase he smashed his teeth out in a head on collision with another dog (accident), that's when the muzzle experience came into play...
I saw where he's already lost teeth, not cool! Although End broke several of hers on tennis balls (they are banned in my house now, except the squeaky Kong ones, supervised only). When you said how he can pop the door off, this is the first thing that popped into my head:

RD

Are you dead yet?
That looks right to me. The baskerville gives them LOTS of space to pant/yawn etc.

Members online

No members online now.