Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
I don't remember it changing Yoshi's bark when she had it though.
I've seen lots of it (work at a kennel) and I've definitely seen some dogs who seems hoarse from all the hacking. Depends on how badly they're coughing, of course.

Hmm signs of kennel cough... is she producing white, foamy spit/phlegm? And when she coughs does she appear to gag at all?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I've seen lots of it (work at a kennel) and I've definitely seen some dogs who seems hoarse from all the hacking. Depends on how badly they're coughing, of course.
Makes sense. Her hacking kind of panicked me when she got it so she went to the vet and was given cough meds pretty early on so it might have been I caught it early enough.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Hmm signs of kennel cough... is she producing white, foamy spit/phlegm? And when she coughs does she appear to gag at all?
Nope, nothing comes out when she's hacking. She's not always even making any hacking/coughing noise, sometimes just an open mouth, so I guess that would be the gagging... And if it helps at all, my mom pushed her off of her by her chest/neck tonight and that pressure on her throat made her hack.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
Nope, nothing comes out when she's hacking. She's not always even making any hacking/coughing noise, sometimes just an open mouth, so I guess that would be the gagging... And if it helps at all, my mom pushed her off of her by her chest/neck tonight and that pressure on her throat made her hack.
That's one way to check for it, not sure how reliable but that would be a sign. I'd pull her from the trial, even if she's not coughing by then she'd likely be sharing her germs. Some dogs have discharge and goo, some don't at all, depends on the virus (there's lots of kennel cough viruses).
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's also a sign of kennel cough... pressure on the trachea inducing coughing/hacking. So is the open mouth gagging... Sucks, but if it doesn't clear up very quickly (like by tomorrow), I think the responsible thing to do would be to pull her from the trial. And remember that she's contagious for about 2 weeks after her LAST cough.

Good news is that Keeva had it from work a few months ago and got over it in a matter of 3-4 days with nothing but some warm honey water to soothe her throat. Sometimes dogs develop complications but it's usually pretty mild most of the time.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Sucks, but if it doesn't clear up very quickly (like by tomorrow), I think the responsible thing to do would be to pull her from the trial. And remember that she's contagious for about 2 weeks after her LAST cough.

Good news is that Keeva had it from work a few months ago and got over it in a matter of 3-4 days with nothing but some warm honey water to soothe her throat. Sometimes dogs develop complications but it's usually pretty mild most of the time.
And if it's anything like when Yoshi got it she probably wouldn't have fun going to something like that or taking part in something like that anyway. Yoshi's wasn't too bad but when when she'd get active her hacking would start back up

Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
And if it's anything like when Yoshi got it she probably wouldn't have fun going to something like that or taking part in something like that anyway. Yoshi's wasn't too bad when when she'd get active her hacking would start back up
Yeah, that's how it was with Keeva! I sat there going, "No, don't play with the cat, you're gonna-" and then she would cough up white foam on the rug. LOL.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's also a sign of kennel cough... pressure on the trachea inducing coughing/hacking. So is the open mouth gagging... Sucks, but if it doesn't clear up very quickly (like by tomorrow), I think the responsible thing to do would be to pull her from the trial. And remember that she's contagious for about 2 weeks after her LAST cough.

How often do they cough when they have it? She hasn't coughed for several hours now, and even before I posted this thread it was only a few times... It's not been serious all day... and she always kind of hacks if you push on her trachea, or at least has for the past 2 or so years.

I guess I'll see how she is tomorrow. I just really hope it's not kennel cough because if it is, I'm sure it'll spread through our entire pack. And for the sake of germs, that means mom's girl Tinky shouldn't go to the trial either, and Simi should be pulled from classes until we're clear.

Grrr.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

Storee was the last to have it here, Kilt hasn't had it yet. Storee coughed a few times, nothing major, but still kept her on 'bed rest' for 2 weeks. With some versions of it it will affect their breathing a bit too, I know of a few flyball dogs that lost half a second for months after kennel cough.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
How often do they cough when they have it? She hasn't coughed for several hours now, and even before I posted this thread it was only a few times... It's not been serious all day... and she always kind of hacks if you push on her trachea, or at least has for the past 2 or so years.

I guess I'll see how she is tomorrow. I just really hope it's not kennel cough because if it is, I'm sure it'll spread through our entire pack. And for the sake of germs, that means mom's girl Tinky shouldn't go to the trial either, and Simi should be pulled from classes until we're clear.

Grrr.
It really just depends on the dogs. It can be pretty infrequent like you're describing when they're just coming down with it or in the process of recovering.

And yeah, it's a huge pain in the ass because it's so contagious. Sorry, I really wish I could give you better news, but it sure does sound like KC to me, and I'm always on the look out for it at work.