Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Top Dog

Im glad you made the decision to keep him. When you stated, that after Leo's death, you wanted Percy to become "like Leo", I think you were spot on. And you're not alone. I think we've all been there.

I know you're heart will slowly heal, but allowing Percy to be himself, and learning to love him the way he is, will help the pain of healing be a little less.

Just give Percy time with the leash training. He needs to learn and understand that the collar/harness and leash equals outside fun time to go exploring. So just stick with letting him follow the shots for a few days, and before you know it, y'all will be walking down the road with Percy strutting his stuff for all to see. The early days of bonding, building confidence, and building trust are much more important than walks on a leash.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Kaydee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabLove View Post
Oh and also some pics of little Percy...

OMG, all Percy needs is a binky, Definitely give that sweetie a chance, adorable pup!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Im glad you made the decision to keep him. When you stated, that after Leo's death, you wanted Percy to become "like Leo", I think you were spot on. And you're not alone. I think we've all been there.

I know you're heart will slowly heal, but allowing Percy to be himself, and learning to love him the way he is, will help the pain of healing be a little less.

Just give Percy time with the leash training. He needs to learn and understand that the collar/harness and leash equals outside fun time to go exploring. So just stick with letting him follow the shots for a few days, and before you know it, y'all will be walking down the road with Percy strutting his stuff for all to see. The early days of bonding, building confidence, and building trust are much more important than walks on a leash.
This, especially the bolded part. When I got my Doberman puppy, something the breeder said to me really made a mark on me and I'll never forget her words. She said, "Most of all, let him be a puppy." So, in other words, (to me) not to take anything too seriously, to enjoy his puppy hood and the things puppies do....with just a little guidance along the way, taking training in small steps, making sure it's fun.

Many of us have gone through the heartache of losing a beloved dog and some of us, many dogs. I know I have. It feels like you'll never be the same again. It's true, the dogs we lose can not be replaced. They're all one-of-a-kind. But with the help of other dogs, each...one of a kind too, we get to feeling a lot better as time goes on. And it's really a nice thing, I think, that the other dogs we have do have their own ways, own personality and surprise us with little quirks of their own. I think and hope for you, that while you're grieving Leo, you'll find peace, a bonding love and trust...and enjoyment from little Percy and that will give you strength to help you come to some acceptance of your great loss. I am so very sorry for your loss. I know the pain and I'll be facing it soon enough (again) with one of my little Chihuahuas, as she is really showing her age lately.

(((hugs))) I think you made a decision that you'll be really thankful for down the road a little ways.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson