Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM
just call me Nilly

Default Baby + Dog

Alright guys, Sierra loves to kiss faces. Anyone who knows that, knows that. She is a face kisser. Period. Of course this has carried on to Carter. Any time we have had this, we have allowed very short kisses, and make sure she's being VERY gentle. So far so good, but it does seem like the basic thing I should stop, since these can go bad so quickly. I know it's typically the child doing the kissing, not the dog... Sierra's the one asking for face attention. But I know we do need to be careful.

Or maybe I'm being silly? How did parents/dog owners deal with babies and dogs?

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 07-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Top Dog

My one year old is only allowed to pet my mothers dogs under strict supervision and even then only occasionally, and no contact with other dogs as I just don't know them well enough. No touching at all when he was younger then that. He wants to love on them, but he is still a baby with little self control. My moms Chihuahua doesnt care one way or another her Schipperke wants to love all over him but I am very adamant about babies and dogs do not mix. Dogs are domesticated but that doesnt negate the fact they are predatory carnivores.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Taxiderpy

With my babies Strider was obsessed with kissing them. I taught him to kiss their feet instead of their faces. That way he still got to be affectionate to them and there wasn't the same issues with germs and dog mouths being next to the baby's face.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:08 PM
We are Home.

We allowed it and never had a issue. I did teach walker to lick the sides of their faces though instead of a full on face lick LOL.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 07-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Top Dog

I don't let my dogs lick because it grosses me out (in general, not just limited to the kiddo), so it isn't an issue here. If I did, I'd probably do as stated above..teach them to lick a foot instead
Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
I don't let my dogs lick because it grosses me out (in general, not just limited to the kiddo), so it isn't an issue here. If I did, I'd probably do as stated above..teach them to lick a foot instead
this.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

I let em lick...as long as both are content and enjoying it. The germ issue, eh, the kids get into way more germs playing outside, or at "playplaces" etc. Thats a non issue for me.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Let it be

If the dog is really gentle I'd let it happen or teach the pooch to licka foot or a two or something. My landlord's dog face washed Briggs all the time and it was never an issue.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:14 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Morgan knows the word "enough", so I can call him off if he gets too kissy. All in all, though, Morgan isn't a major licker, and he's very gentle with Justin. We haven't had any actual problems regarding that.

For what it's worth, I don't think you are being silly. The combination of dogs + licking + baby is a subject of personal comfort zone and it's up to you on what is acceptable. You also have to know your dog (as I know you do) to determine what is safe for your child.

If you are certain sure that licking is all that Sierra is going to do, I doubt any harm will come of it. That said, if you're not comfortable with face licking on the baby, it's time to teach Sierra to do something else. (I like Romy's feet licking idea!)

Either way, you aren't being silly. You are a thoughtful mom.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I don't have a kid, and licking grosses me out in general, but I know a good friend of mine who's dog "cleans" the baby's face after eating (obvs she cleans the kids face after, by the dog gets the grossness off )

She knows her dog and knows her kid, and has no worries that the dog will take it further

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13