Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Obey the Toad.

Wolf hybrid--then my friend's family got one and that was the end of that

Rottweiler--still like the breed, just can't see myself owning one in the foreseeable future

Dalmatian--count me in as a huge 101 Dalmatians fan, but the more I learned about the breed the less I wanted one

Dobermans--I was obsessed with Roscoe and Desoto from Oliver & Company. I still love dobes but I don't know that I would seek one out (although my friend's dobes are doing their best to change that opinion-lol)

Australian Cattle dog--I was sure I would have a blue heeler named Creole. They are cool dogs but too much dog for me

Border Collies--I still really like the breed, but they just wouldn't be a good fit

Miniature Dachshunds--several people in my family have had them over the years and I had one when I was little that ended up getting hit by a car His name was Hans and he was the most kicka$$ little dog ever, and I don't know that I'll ever find another doxie as awesome as Hans

Malinois--after meeting a super friendly one I kind of got the impression the they were a smaller, more labradorish version of a GSD. Not so much, as it turns out...
Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

I've had lots of wants over the years. Like Emily, I kinda wanted all dogs as a kid. I especially wanted a GSD though and I did get one (well...three LOL). Still love the breed but the SSA makes them less than ideal for me at this point. Also wanted a Saluki for a long time. I still want a sighthound someday but probably a Whippet. I have looked into just about every oddball herding breed you can think of. I do like oddball herding breeds. Most of them would be suitable for me but I can only have so many dogs and most are going to be Belgians soooo....

I had a bad BC want for years and years and years. I was pretty sure I'd eventually have a BC. Now while I still like them, I'm not sure I would choose one over a Belgian or a PyrShep. I think maybe they just aren't wild enough for me these days LOL See I had a Dobe mix who was weird but fairly moderate dog. Then I got a higher-drive-than-you'd expect-Collie. From there it was a very high drive GSD, who made the collie seem pretty easy. Then the first Belgian was the "weird" to the GSD's normal. Now the PyrShep is the weird to the Belgian's normal LOL And I'm not sure where Ziggy fits in but he's quite intense. And loud. He fits in between the Belgians and PyrShep without a doubt.

I guess I just love wild, crazy, quirky dogs
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 PM
orange iguanas.

I was reminded today that I would like to add Pugs to this list. The shedding.... oh dear God, the shedding. One of the doctors where I work has 2, she brought them in today for baths. I swept the kennel room and then went to grab the mop. During this time, the doctor went in there to grab her dogs so she could go home. I return with the mop, and OH MY GOD HAIR EVERYWHERE. All she did was take her dogs out of the kennel. And I had to sweep again because there were layers of hairs... not just a stray one or two.

And then I had to clean out their kennel which was extra hairy as well. And their water dish had a dog growing in it too. I don't understand how it's possible!!! But I used to think pugs were so awesome.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

When I was little (pre-dog) I would dream about beagles and desperately wanted a beagle & I had never even met one in real life before (must've been Shiloh).

Ironically, when I thought I was adopting a lab puppy he turned out to be pretty beagle-y and has all the traits of a beagle that I decided I didn't want in a dog.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 AM
Resident fainting goat

My therapist told my parents once when I was younger that the reason many children around that time wanted golden retrievers was because in lots of tvs/movies at the time golden retrievers were owned by happy stable families.

Not sure if it's true lol doubt my decision was that deep at age like 9.. but still, interesting.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
My therapist told my parents once when I was younger that the reason many children around that time wanted golden retrievers was because in lots of tvs/movies at the time golden retrievers were owned by happy stable families.

Not sure if it's true lol doubt my decision was that deep at age like 9.. but still, interesting.
Yeah, they are like the iconic suburban white picket fence dog.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Dafuq?

What does loving Pit Bulls from a young age say about a kid? Lol!

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I grew up with a Dalmatian pre-101 Dalmatians (the live action movie). It seemed like EVERYONE wanted a Dal once that movie came out, and people assumed that's why we had one!

Same with Beverly Hills Chihuahuas- we had Chloe before the movie came out, and a ton of people asked if we named her after Chloe from the movie (who was also a white chihuahua!).

When I was about 8 years old, I desperately wanted a Sibe. There was a blind guy in our neighborhood who would walk his Sibe every night while we walked our Dalmatian, and I was in love with that dog! He was so smart and worked so well with his owner.

As a little kid, I wanted a Cocker Spaniel. I loved the ear fringe! Lady and the Tramp was my favorite movie, so the reason for wanting one was obvious

Before getting our Dalmatian, I wanted a Yorkie... I wanted a little foo foo dog I could put bows in its hair

I can't think of any others at the moment. Every breed "want" within the past 5 or so years are breeds I'd still consider!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep