Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

We haven't had any fights. My second dog is still a puppy (5 months), so time will tell, of course, but I'm not anticipating any issues between my two. Bailey is just not a dog who gets into fights, and, while Grace can be an obnoxious puppy and is still figuring things out, she's not too pushy and submits when appropriate.

They do snark at each other over higher value items. The only things B actually won't let her steal from him are really high value treats, like new marrow bones. She always backs off when it's clear he means it, and I never leave them together and unsupervised with items like that.

They can play pretty hard. But I keep an eye on them, and I totally trust Bailey to be appropriate.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Show Dog

So far so good. Luckily neither one is a serious resource guarder, so I'm able to put both of them in the yard for mealtimes and leave toys out around the house. At the very most someone will get a little snarky, but it has never escalated. Bear is very forgiving of bitches, so Pig can get away with just about anything with him.

When non-dog people come over and watch them play, they usually make some comment about the dogs fighting. One of Pig's favourite things to do is attach herself to Bear's face/neck. For some reason most guests like to take it upon themselves to intervene. Pig will usually stop and look up at the person with this nice toothy grin before launching herself at Bear again.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

Yep. When Mini turned 7 she started fighting with our older female Rottweiler. They never had to be separated but silly things would set them off and they were fighting to kill. When the Rott died and Kyra turned 6-7ish her and Mini started fighting occasionally. They fight seriously too and have to be physically pulled apart. It was weird because they were perfectly fine together up to that point.

The boys occasionally go at it, but stop if you yell.

The girls and boys have never fought each other.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Top Dog

I have had fights but not a lot, worst time is when one of the girls is coming into heat. About 3 wks out from being in heat and anytime I've had a fight it was because I wasn't paying attention of that time line. The fights that we have had, have never resulted in vet bills, stitches or serious wounds. Typically easy to stop the fight/arguement, had to choke one girl off once to stop a fight. That has also included a lot of dogs here that are rescues, for a while there were a lot of dogs coming and going. Did have a terrier frenzy once, that was scary and if I had been alone the rescue that was attacked probably wouldn't have lived, as I wouldn't have been able to stop it in time to save him.
I would have to say that considering how many jrts have lived here, how many of my dogs that are intact, lots that have come and gone (rescues) the fights would be considered minor.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Felurian

Kharma and Tallulah. *sigh*

Kharma determined Tallulah WILL submit or DIE and Tallulah determined DEATH before submission -- and if she can she'll take Kharma with her. Hold one and the other one keeps going.

Imagine holding a 150 lb. Fila bitch and a 50 lb. APBT bitch apart by yourself until you can wrangle one or the other through a door and slam it.

They are never together anymore. It's a shame because they'll often lay on opposite sides of the glass patio door and want to play.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Top Dog

It's really interesting to see the breed tends in this thread .

Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 AM
Top Dog

Zobby's snapped at Elsie, but she always backs down.

Zobby's fought other dogs. He loves fighting; it's awful because a) I don't wanting him hurting someone else's dog, b) it's embarrassing and awful, and c) he's 22lbs with no sense of self-preservation. Luckily, since moving here, he's been much better supervised, managed and trained, but it's got to be kept in mind that, given the chance, he'd like to kick ass and take names.