Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Obey the Toad.

I was raised by a firework nut so learned to enjoy them at an early age, which is good because I married a firework nut....we just got done lighting almost 2 hours worth of them off at my dad's house. They are legal here and my dad's neighborhood sounds like a war zone.

My aunt doesn't like them though and stayed in the house most of the evening. I can understand people not liking them because I HATE those fighter jet fly overs they have at events.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I've always hated them.

A friend brought up a very good point at a BBQ today, why do we insist on setting off fireworks in the name of independence when it causes so many issues for many of those who fought/are fighting for that independence (PTSD).
This, too. I've been stressing this all week on forums and over facebook. No one seems to care.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah my dogs don't care at all thankfully. They're not noise sensitive at all. They've been shooting them for nearly 2 hours here in the back yard though (it's legal here) and I don't understand how it's still fun. I stayed out for about 20 minutes then went inside. They tell me I 'need to live a little'. :/
Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Twin 2

I don't mind them at all and really enjoy a good firework show. But I like loud noises a lot.

And I'm lucky enough to live with dogs that don't care at all. I was a little worried about Didgie because the first time she heard them a few weeks ago she was terrified but they've been going off all over tonight and she hasn't cared really in the least. Mild concern when outside and huge ones go off is about it.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
They tell me I 'need to live a little'. :/
You are. You're living over here. They're living over there.

Granted they are playing with explosives and therefore a little less likely to continue living, relative to you, but hey if that's what they want...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Kaydee

Terrified of them as a kid...when my oldest was a teen we lived in FLA where they were tolerated if not legal. We'd go out to a field with his buddies and try to vaporize the place...I'm sorry, that was FUN!

Now where we live they have public fireworks but none openly for sale. We went tonight and it was neat. Don't like the noise either, wish I had an Ipod with Pink Floyd or Jan Hammer n' just lay back and groove on the colors...oy, do I sound like an old stoner or what???!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 AM
orange iguanas.

I never used to mind them. We shoot them off every year at our cabin... however, one year after my brothers lit the fuse, the box tipped over so the fireworks shot AT us and they were exploding all around us and we all had to run inside to take cover. Sooo ever since that little event, I can't handle being close to them. When we do them at the cabin now, I watch from inside.

But I like watching them from a distance, some of them are really good. And my dogs don't mind them, otherwise I probably would hate them.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Top Dog

I love watching fireworks and liked them when I was a little kid. My dogs aren't bothered by them. It's fun seeing them everywhere and by the lakes. I like the loud fireworks. One of my neighbors sets off fireworks that are showy and loud. Fireworks are legal here.

Last edited by MinPinOwner; 07-05-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Love My Mutt <3

I like them if I'm with friends, terrified of them if alone.

Ren is very noise sensitive, so he was knocked out for Canada Day, even though fireworks are illegal here

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Mutts to you

I like watching the pro shows but don't really care for the crowds, so we don't usually go anywhere. Not really interested in doing anything at home except maybe for sparklers, and that's only to photograph the path of them as Sis runs around like a maniac or tries to spell her name backwards (so it's right-reading for the camera). I do the same for her.

The older dogs don't like gunfire, I think they were shot at before I got them cuz they tend to drop to their bellies and run for cover. Unfortunately, all the neighbors like to target shoot at the drop of a hat, so we hear gunshots all year. This year, with the extreme drought/heat, I'd like to whack some sense into the idiots shooting off fireworks around us.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey