Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

yikes. I hope they get power back to everyone soon. I don't know what it is about our little area of our town but they are incredibly efficient with the power. it almost NEVER goes out and if it does it's very brief. Even when Irene came through last year and we were flooded all over the place we never lost power. it's remarkable really.

Praying the power and sanity is restored for everyone soon

did you guys end up getting any storms last night? We were supposed to but didn't get anything. We had lots of plans yesterday so I told Hannah she better pray for no rain so we can go see the fireworks. She said "Can we pray right now?" LOL so we prayed for God to hold off the rain so we could have a full day of fun. When evening came Hannah says "Hey... it didnt' rain. My prayer WORKED" haha cute. so we never did end up getting any rain or anything and it cooled down to a glorious temp last night.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

We never lose power here, might have flickered once or twice the last 20 years and I would complain about having to reset the clocks, but last October we were hit with a bad snowstorm and lost power for 5 days. The thing I missed the most was my hair dryer. I would walk into work and my friends would just look and say "no power yet huh?"
We had a fire going in the fireplace and gas stove so we could cook. I put my perishables on the back deck to stay cold so we really didn't suffer too much. My husband would bring our laptops to work to charge so at night we could watch movies.

I hope you get your power back soon.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Just got off work. Apparently when one of my coworkers did a night check last night he noticed someone peering in through the front window with a flashlight. So creepy! Why would someone do that? I mean seriously!

This morning we got through our shift pretty well considering we had no power. One of my coworkers was able to use his car to power fans into the building to keep dogs cool while we worked. We had nothing to chain the generator to outside so I think that got taken back to my boss's house for now.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 AM
<(°°<) <(°°)> (>°°)>

My friend in Lynchburg just emailed me that she's been out of power as well I guess the power outage is pretty wide spread. She drove down to NC to her parents because it's soo hot. ^^

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Top Dog

Just got power back tonight! Gahhh, so hot we can't go upstairs. It was 85 on the main level of the house when it came back on, and probably 5+ degrees warmer upstairs. A/C is working overtime to try to cool it down so we can sleep.

The power company guys are the unsung first responders of storms. I can't even imagine--it was over 100* here today, but they were all out working overtime fixing outages. What a thankless job.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Behavior Nerd

I drove through WV yesterday and hit a stretch of road about 60-80 miles long that had no gas because there was either no power for the pumps or the gas had been sold out at the few with power. o.O The intersections with the highway I was on were scary with no lights, too.

On the plus side, I saw 4-6 NC power trucks heading north on that same drive.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

A few people I know have gotten power back. So many are still without though including my job. I've seen a bunch of power company vehicles driving around to fix things though and I couldn't imagine having that job in this heat right now.

Has anyone heard if its going to cool down a little anytime soon?
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
Has anyone heard if its going to cool down a little anytime soon?
90+ for the next week...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Kaydee

One warning on generators-candles+lit cigarettes+gas generator can equal very, very bad thing. We had a blackout last year and a friend we shall call Beevis set up the generator...with a cigarette hanging from his mouth the whole time.

I was watching from a distant window praying the end would be fast and painless...obviously we're all still here but anyway...oh and try to keep as much ventilation as possible, the exhaust on them old gas generators is ghastly
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Yeah, I was away for a wedding in Southern NJ when the storm hit (storm was Friday night, Saturday was the wedding). My friend was FREAKING OUT. Obviously, there was not going to be power for her wedding, and there was none in the hotel we were staying at, too (where we were supposed to get hair and makeup done, so we all got cold showers and drove to Ocean City, NJ for hair/makeup - took an hour when it should have taken 20 mins).

Her new husband's father's boss drove a generator down from PA for the venue, and we had the wedding after all. It was a bit of a miracle LOL. But BOY was it HOT and a bit dark. They didn't have a powerful enough generator for the whole place (it was a HUGE hall with a ballroom and everything) so we were put in a smaller room and there was no lighting in the bride/groom suites. Finding things and getting ready without power was interesting.

Anyway, I hope you get power soon! I'm pretty sure it's still not back on in the town the wedding was at

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)