Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

Default Minature Poodles

Been thinking of my next dog breed and for some odd reason the poodle is calling me! The Minature Poodle to be exact. I like the standards but I want a smaller size dog for my next one. Please share your experience with the breed.

Here are some questions. I really like black, brown, apricot, and red color for a poodle. Is there any colors that are more associated with health problems or I should stay away for some reason?

I heard that they were active. I like that. How active are we talking about?

And, urm, I'm not the biggest fan of the way people shave the face of the poodle and prefer the fur on face. I like this cut for a poodle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOScw...eature=related
Certain cuts have a name. What would you call this cut? And why do people shave the face?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Standards are the size I'm most familiar with having shared my home with them but I have heard that the miniatures are usually of the same temperment, etc. If you look at my profile pic you can see that I don't go for the fancy poodle clips. Personally I don't find the standards a large breed. Farley was about 60=65 lbs and Chloe averages around 48. Their long legs make them appear much larger.

While standards love to play, swim and be active they also have an off switch and love to be cuddle buddies as well. Very easy to train and they excel at obedience, agility, rally, etc.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

I've actually looked at poodles lately too

Don't want to hijack but of when answering her questions anyone could throw this in too I'd appreciate it. Would anyone say they are velcro dogs?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Mitch & Erin

My grandmother has a miniature poodle, and she is a wonderful dog. They love to play, but can entertain themselves if need be, and will also be fine just relaxing. They are incredibly smart, my grandparents will actually have to spell out words like vet. I was planning on getting a poodle until I found Cthulhu and would suggest one to anyone.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahla9999 View Post
Here are some questions. I really like black, brown, apricot, and red color for a poodle. Is there any colors that are more associated with health problems or I should stay away for some reason?
I know of no known health issues linked to coat color, though you will find a lot of BYBs breeding for color vs health.

Quote:
I heard that they were active. I like that. How active are we talking about?
All the miniature I know can be quite active. They are just about as active as the Standards in a smaller package. Lincoln has been known to walk 6 miles, play for an hour or so afterwards and still raring to go.

Quote:
And, urm, I'm not the biggest fan of the way people shave the face of the poodle and prefer the fur on face. I like this cut for a poodle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOScw...eature=related
Certain cuts have a name. What would you call this cut? And why do people shave the face?
I'm not too familiar with what the official name of this pet cut would be, but likes like either a teddy bear or mustache-y cut. I'd take pictures to the groomer. Faces were/are shaved to help a dog grab a duck more efficiently (at least that's the original purpose).

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlesmom View Post
While standards love to play, swim and be active they also have an off switch and love to be cuddle buddies as well. Very easy to train and they excel at obedience, agility, rally, etc.
Same can be said about the Miniatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Don't want to hijack but of when answering her questions anyone could throw this in too I'd appreciate it. Would anyone say they are velcro dogs?
Lincoln has SA when I leave the house, but when I'm home he's usually off doing his own thing, though he's a weird dog anyways. Most poodles I know are the "check in and see what you're doing" type vs. being up your butt.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Mitch & Erin

[QUOTE=
Lincoln has SA when I leave the house, but when I'm home he's usually off doing his own thing, though he's a weird dog anyways. Most poodles I know are the "check in and see what you're doing" type vs. being up your butt.[/QUOTE]

Thats a great way to phrase it
Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Love my pets

Wow, you're asking this question at just the right time. This week I've been dog sitting for a 4 year old black/grey miniature poodle. He weighs maybe 4 or 5 lbs. He's so adorable, smart, friendly, likes to play, likes to cuddle, etc, etc.... My husband & I fell in love with him. I never thought I'd like a dog this size considering how big our are. This dog is smaller than my cat.

I wouldn't hesitate to get a miniature poodle if that's what you want. Oh, he was trimmed with just the long fluffy ears that went up & down as he ran. So adorable.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

I love Poodles and have been thinking about one in my near future...possibly.
BUT...This scares the bejeezus out of me. I've already been through hell and back with one breed which has a pretty high propensity toward a lot of health issues...lost my Doberman at 4 years of age. Look at this list! Of course, they're not all going to have problems, but the fact that these things are in their lines just worries me no end.
http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/health.htm
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I love Poodles and have been thinking about one in my near future...possibly.
BUT...This scares the bejeezus out of me. I've already been through hell and back with one breed which has a pretty high propensity toward a lot of health issues...lost my Doberman at 4 years of age. Look at this list! Of course, they're not all going to have problems, but the fact that these things are in their lines just worries me no end.
http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/health.htm
Like with other breeds, parents with appropriate health testing can rule out quite a few of those health issues. And you are most likely not going to have to worry about HD or bloat in a Miniature or Toy Poodle.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Show Dog

Poodles are quite energetic,playful, and friendly. I love this breed too!