Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Thanks guys. It helps to put it in a different perspective like that. I got the poles in the winter and was going to practice the method with Auggie, but he's not toy motivated so it didn't go very well and I decided since his weaves are so good anyway I didn't need to force it. Payton would sit and watch me work with Auggie and one day he got up and came over and ran through the poles, but I stopped after that because he was only like seven months old at the time and I didn't want to run into the problem of him being ready to go on and yet his joints weren't ready to weave... I wish I had gone ahead and worked with him just with the two at 2 and 8 all winter long had I known!

I took two videos at the training building today but only the first one actually took, my camera ran out of battery power so apparently didn't save the second video at all. I'm not even gonna bother posting it because it's a mess LOL. I backed us up to having the poles at 2 and 8 again and he just kept skipping the first two poles on me. I did one session of six reps at the beginning of our play time at the building and it was rough, and then one more session at the end, and that's the one I don't have but I wish I could post. It was like the lightbulb went on and he was like "oh, it's THIS game. I know THIS game." *facepalm* No problems with entries and getting all four poles then. So good news at least, I don't have to completely start over yet again.

Tomorrow I've got more 2x2s scheduled into our training calendar and I'm charging the camera right now so maybe tomorrow I'll get some actual quality video and post it and see if there's anything that pops out to you guys.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-28-2012, 09:40 AM
The Monster.

I agree with everything the others have suggested - I just have one tiny thing to add.

As with every shaping exercise, if you're running into a string of failures and your dog is getting demotivated, you can take a brief break from the task at hand and cue a couple fun, easy behaviours and reward them. Or, start off your shaping sessions with those easy, rewardable behaviours. It's to pad your "success" column with more check-marks than your "fail" column, and it can help maintain motivation over the duration of your training session.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog