Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Are you dead yet?

Cost is a bit of an issue for me too, I am feeding TOTW bison/venison formula and having good results with it. My dog also eats a lot of raw food.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
No flogging yourself! You should pat yourself on the back for doing research instead... those companies make themselves seem great. The average person can hardly be expected to know better.

Anyway, echoing the Taste of the Wild if you want to go grain free. They have had recalls though, but I really don't know if you'll find something that affordable that hasn't... Their last recall was entirely voluntary, however. If you set affordability aside, Fromm is a fantastic food from a small company that's never had a recall in 40 yrs. It's kind of a trade-off.
Here, Fromm is actually cheaper than TOTW or more or the less the same price. I know I briefly fed TOTW and paid $10.99 for a 5lb bag and with the Fromm Four-Star, I also paid $10.99 (one of the formulas was $1 or $2 more, and one was a bit less). But the Fromm Gold line is much cheaper, and the Classic line even cheaper (granted, it's not grain-free, but still a decent food, IMO) I've noticed price tends to vary a lot by area though.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

I would suggest Fromm, Earthborn, or NutriSource for a reasonably-priced food. Around here, NutriSource Adult is about $40 for a 30lb bag, and Fromm and Earthborn are about $45 for a $30. All three are smaller, reputable companies that I like alot. Plus, most local retailers will do a Buy 10, Get 1 Free program which cuts the cost down a bit.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:50 PM
and Fozzie B!

Nature's Variety Instinct is my favorite kibble... they also make Prairie, which does have grains, but it's less expensive and also has tons of meat and good ingredients. Both rate very high! I rotate between turkey/duck, rabbit, salmon and beef formulas.

WOW, almost anything will be far better than Beneful and Alpo. You're going to notice unbelievable differences in health, muscle tone, odor, coat condition, poop quality and content, and general energy of your dogs. I recommend taking before and after pictures!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

Earthborn grain frees might be worth a try, some places it's cheaper than TOTW, some places it's not, you'll have to check it out.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!