Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Smile Opinions on breeder?

So just wanted to hear some honest opinions, good and bad, of this breeder?

http://lonepineaussies.com/aboutaussies.html

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Twin 2.0

I ruled them out about half way through the first paragraph and this was after making myself get beyond the "Three Size Variations" header.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Resident fainting goat

CONS

As for the whole size thing.. personally I have seen some smaller than average/mini breeders that are decent, but NEVER any toy breeders. IMO to get an aussie that tiny, there is some mixing going on or CERTAINLY making choices based on SIZE over quality of the dog.

I don't like that puppies are picked in order of deposits received. IMO puppy placement should be more thorough than first come first serve.

and "This litter is registerable AKC as Miniature American Shepherd"... last I checked Mini aussies were NOT a breed under the AKC

No performance brags to speak of, which to me... is a deal breaker. I want to see more

Pimping of NutriVet vitamins. Pet peeve. AND nutrisource food.

In the contract.. SELLER does not guarantee the size of the puppy after reaching maturity. (er..so what's the point then?)

No info on individual dog temperaments. That's a deal breaker for me. No CGC, no descriptions etc..

Only one male.. and two litters from him (one current and another upcoming). Not really a "con" depending but I'd want to know why that stud was GREAT for both females and that it wasn't just..ease of the dog being there already.

PROS

They health test

Dogs seem loved and pups are raised indoors

All puppies are sold with a 26 month of age guarantee on hips and genetic defects as stated in Health Guarantee. (not the best health guarantee but it's pretty good to have one)

THey have a facebook page. That's nice to see..makes communication easier.

Not a breeder I would choose personally

Last edited by Fran101; 06-26-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
CONS
and "This litter is registerable AKC as Miniature American Shepherd"... last I checked Mini aussies were NOT a breed under the AKC
http://www.akc.org/breeds/miniature_american_shepherd/

Yeah. I have nothing else to add though, but thought I should point that out.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

I don't see anything terribly wrong, they do health test and show (though I don't know where they can be registered and shown, so not sure how competitive those shows are). They have two litters this year (one already born, one coming up), so unless they are planning more that's not too bad. I suppose you'd have to talk to them to find out more about their breeding and raising philosophies. The only thing I noticed is one of their females looks a little wonky int he front end and they are breeding her. Maybe I'm just seeing things but she doesn't look like an outstanding specimen. Most Australian shepherd folks don't agree with the creation of mini aussies, or at least don't like that they are called by the same name as they are so different from the Aussie and there is really no way to know if other breeds were introduced to create them. I personally don't have a problem with them, but they are not my breed.

Are you looking to get yourself a Mini Aussie?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Normal is how those health tests should read, except OFA hips, which are fair and prelim good.

I wouldn't go to this breeder.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
http://www.akc.org/breeds/miniature_american_shepherd/

Yeah. I have nothing else to add though, but thought I should point that out.
woops didn't even realize it said American and I copied/pasted..I need to learn to read haha

and just edited the health test bit. I'm in London and still kind of Jet-lagged/went out for drinks. My bad guys haha
Old 06-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Behavior Nerd

Their single male and one of their females do not have official hip ratings - the male doesn't have them listed at all, the female says she had prelims done, but she's 3yo and still doesn't have official OFA results - that throws up a HUGE red flag to me...

Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I ruled them out about half way through the first paragraph and this was after making myself get beyond the "Three Size Variations" header.
Why is that?

And the sizes I already brought up to her and she doesn't seem to care. So size issues with being "real" australian shepherds is not a con for this party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
CONS

As for the whole size thing.. personally I have seen some smaller than average/mini breeders that are decent, but NEVER any toy breeders. IMO to get an aussie that tiny, there is some mixing going on or CERTAINLY making choices based on SIZE over quality of the dog.

I don't like that puppies are picked in order of deposits received. IMO puppy placement should be more thorough than first come first serve.

No performance brags to speak of, which to me... is a deal breaker. I want to see more

Pimping of NutriVet vitamins. Pet peeve. AND nutrisource food.

In the contract.. SELLER does not guarantee the size of the puppy after reaching maturity. (er..so what's the point then?)

No info on individual dog temperaments. That's a deal breaker for me. No CGC, no descriptions etc..

Only one male.. and two litters from him (one current and another upcoming). Not really a "con" depending but I'd want to know why that stud was GREAT for both females and that it wasn't just..ease of the dog being there already.

PROS

They health test

Dogs seem loved and pups are raised indoors

All puppies are sold with a 26 month of age guarantee on hips and genetic defects as stated in Health Guarantee. (not the best health guarantee but it's pretty good to have one)

THey have a facebook page. That's nice to see..makes communication easier.

Not a breeder I would choose personally
Seems most of the negatives were covered in an email based conversation from both parties. (As far as I'm told at least). Only one that wasn't (again, as far as I'm aware) would be why that male was chosen for both females, I'll see if she can ask the breeder this question and see what happens!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I don't see anything terribly wrong, they do health test and show (though I don't know where they can be registered and shown, so not sure how competitive those shows are). They have two litters this year (one already born, one coming up), so unless they are planning more that's not too bad. I suppose you'd have to talk to them to find out more about their breeding and raising philosophies. The only thing I noticed is one of their females looks a little wonky int he front end and they are breeding her. Maybe I'm just seeing things but she doesn't look like an outstanding specimen. Most Australian shepherd folks don't agree with the creation of mini aussies, or at least don't like that they are called by the same name as they are so different from the Aussie and there is really no way to know if other breeds were introduced to create them. I personally don't have a problem with them, but they are not my breed.

Are you looking to get yourself a Mini Aussie?
No I'm not

I saw that female as well. Thanks for the opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Normal is how those health tests should read, except OFA hips, which are fair and prelim good.

I wouldn't go to this breeder.
Does that mean you think she has lied about the testing? Is there anyway to get proof for the testing?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Their single male and one of their females do not have official hip ratings - the male doesn't have them listed at all, the female says she had prelims done, but she's 3yo and still doesn't have official OFA results - that throws up a HUGE red flag to me...
OOooOOo Good point! I'll toss that to her and see what happens.

OK, I might as well say my sister is looking for a mini Aussie and she is the one that wants the pup and is looking at this breeder. I'm a third party trying to help.

She wants me to go with her to meet the breeder probably next thursday or friday so I'm getting a bunch of things to bring up to the breeder and to my sister.

Thanks!!!