Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Top Dog

Personally, I'd find somewhere else, like an ex-pen for him to spend the long periods of time he must be confined and then work on gradually conditioning him to the crate...open door first like you're doing with the food. Then close it for under a minute while you sit next to him, then let him out. Then gradually close the door for just a little longer while you still sit close. Then shorten up the duration, but go a few feet away. I'd spend 3 - 5 minutes several different times during the day or night just getting him use to longer spells and having you be away from him, but gradually. Only step away for a few seconds, then return and poke a treat through the grate. Frequently, quickly and like it's a game. I'd be careful not to ask too much too soon so that he isn't as apt to throw a tizzy fit and won't associate being locked up in the crate with a rotten time.

Anyhow, it's hard for a pup to immediately have to spend a long time in a crate if he hasn't been conditioned to it. Just like teaching a dog to wear a muzzle or getting him use to something else unpleasant. It seems to go better if they're gradually conditioned to it.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
I have been trying to feed him in his crate, but he's not impressed with kibble. He was raw weaned, and obvs that is tastier than my stupid kibble. But I am not comfortable with raising him on raw. Clearly I need to buy something to help bridge that gap.
Have you tried soaking the food a bit before feeding it? Sometimes that will help bring out the smell.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Personally, I'd find somewhere else, like an ex-pen for him to spend the long periods of time he must be confined and then work on gradually conditioning him to the crate..
He screams in an xpen. He screams babygated in a room. It's not crate-specific!
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:12 PM
<----Thanks Allie

ugh. That sucks. I think I would kill myself.

I know you don't want to raise him on raw, but what if you just buy some RMBs so he has something super tasty to distract him in the crate?.... and then put him as far away from earshot as possible so you can sleep until he stops with the screaming?

Does it make a difference if you get him super tired from playing when you put him in the crate?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Earplugs.

And lots of rum.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 AM
overdogged

Why is the rum gone?!

I waited until he was passed out asleep last night, shoveled him into his crate without waking him up, celebrated victory, turned out the light, and he started screaming approximately three minutes later.

I need to get him something super tasty like rmbs. I will do that... whenever I have time.
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
My answer is tough love and an I pod.
This... and the earthquake game.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
He screams in an xpen. He screams babygated in a room. It's not crate-specific!
Oh...I see. Well then, I guess tough love and ear plugs would be the next best thing and just wait him out. Don't cave. He'll get over it, probably in the next few weeks. There. How does that make you feel? *runs and hides.*

I know...it is awful. Lyric was a screamer when I first got him. He had been accustomed to a crate from the get go. His breeder had one in the puppy area...the kitchen with the door off and he slept in there. But the new environment, all the changes puppies have to go through in their new homes...well, it's an adjustment. I think it just went on though, for maybe 4 or 5 days. I hope your pup gets use to it soon.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 AM
overdogged

So things are getting MUCH! better. Thank goodness. He is still LOUD when he is loud, but much less screaming.

I took him to work yesterday so that he could get his exam (checked out well!) and he hollered a little bit at the beginning and a little bit mid-way through my shift, but mostly he just chilled in the big dog run with his little crate and his toys. I popped back and dropped tasty treats in with him when he was quiet and I had the opportunity.

Last night he went right to sleep, slept until 4:15. He started fussing, so I took him out to potty. Settled right back down and went back to sleep. Unfortunately he woke up at 5:30 and He! Was! Up! SCREAMSCREAMSCREAM

But that's way better than all night long!

He'll also tolerate being babygated away from me now, which is great.
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

Yeah! I bet it won't be too much longer and he'll settle right in. Good luck!

Thomas Jefferson