Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Behavior Nerd

CP I have a holistic vet I've used in GSO if you'd like a second opinion at any point.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Agreed, the swollen nodes ARE the tumors in lymphoma. And typically blood work is totally normal (or with mild unremarkable changes, like yours IMO) with lymphoma. Please, please ask them to aspirate.
I will not ask. I will insist that it be done, whether they like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
CP I have a holistic vet I've used in GSO if you'd like a second opinion at any point.
I don't know if I'm at the point of a second opinion, but I'd love to know about a holistic vet in GSO. I didn't realize there was one here. I have your phone number somewhere, if you don't mind a call.
Otherwise, post the info woman!

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Vibes and ((((hugs)))) sent.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Agreed, the swollen nodes ARE the tumors in lymphoma. And typically blood work is totally normal (or with mild unremarkable changes, like yours IMO) with lymphoma. Please, please ask them to aspirate.
Definitely this. The earlier you catch it, the better.

ETA:
Quote:
I will not ask. I will insist that it be done, whether they like it or not.
GOOD! ~~~~~~VIBES~~~~~~ still coming your way!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Behavior Nerd

CP your inbox is full, so here's the info I was going to send ya.

Dr. Katherine Devore is the vet I know in GSO that does holistic stuff - she has office hours at Greensboro Vet Hospital (http://www.greensborovethospital.com/staff_devore.htm) and last I checked also did housecalls in the GSO/High Point area, though she did cut back on that due to gas prices. Her number is 336-431-0038.

I like her, and used her as a primary vet for our first year here, but I've started using a more local place for vaccines and general exams due to cost. She's still my go to for chronic issues.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
CP your inbox is full, so here's the info I was going to send ya.

Dr. Katherine Devore is the vet I know in GSO that does holistic stuff - she has office hours at Greensboro Vet Hospital (http://www.greensborovethospital.com/staff_devore.htm) and last I checked also did housecalls in the GSO/High Point area, though she did cut back on that due to gas prices. Her number is 336-431-0038.

I like her, and used her as a primary vet for our first year here, but I've started using a more local place for vaccines and general exams due to cost. She's still my go to for chronic issues.
The full inbox will not be changing any time soon.

Thanks for the info! I have heard of her. I thought she was just an acupuncture vet.

As for where we're at with Ares:

The vet aspirated the lymph nodes yesterday. We should have results back tomorrow. He did look at them himself and couldn't say much one way or the other.

So...

Prep me for when the results do come in. What do I need to know if it is Lymphoma? If it doesn't indicate Lymphoma, is that it or are there more tests that we need to be sure?

The vet mentioned that if it isn't, it's likely some sort of inflammatory issue and something about treating it with prednisone.

I know almost nothing, so give me the ChazCrashCourse. As many whatifs as you can come up with so I'm better prepared for when I next talk to the vet.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-26-2012, 12:55 PM
such sights to show you

This is a good article about lymphoma in dogs.

If it is confirmed as lymphoma, and you don't want to do chemotherapy, prednisone alone can be used to get a sort of "soft" remission (i.e. not true remission but the lymph nodes shrink and they feel good) for a period of time anywhere from 3-12 months, with 4-6 being typical.

Fingers crossed, hopefully this is something else.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

We lost my mom's dog to lymphoma a few months ago She started out with swollen glands under the neck, then under the belly and on the back legs. They did bloodwork and then biopsied the gland and it came back what we feared. My mom decided not to treat due to the fact that her dog was almost 13 yrs old, so they kept her comfortable and she made it about 3 1/2 weeks before they decided to let her go so she would not suffer. She was in a pretty advanced stage when they diagnosed, so her time that she got was about what was expected.

The biggest change I think you will see is weight loss, my mom's dog lost weight at a pretty rapid speed, but still ate like she was starving.

I really hope your Ares doesn't have this and its just allergies! Sending good vibes for great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!