Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I definitely think it does depend on the person's personality probably more so than the dog's personality in most cases. I find herders in general pretty easy.
I agree completely. I love the herders, but there are herding breeds I would have a hard time with. And I know I can't live with retrievers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Maybe it's not that the dogs are hard to deal with, maybe it's more that it's an owner who picked the wrong dog?
Nope, it's that owners of herding breeds are kinda quirky and hard to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
My first agility class with Mia was a corgi, an ACD, 2 Aussies, and a BC. And then Mia.
Meh, just tell them Mia is a MiniMali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
I couldn't believe it when I took Steve to an agility seminar a couple months ago and he was the only BC there.
BCs go to agility seminars? I thought they were born knowing how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs6 View Post
I know I couldn't handle a Mal but I also know I'd have no problem with a BC.
That would be why Nyx swam to you...Figured by the time she got there, she'd be tired enough that you could handle her.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
\But it's not just herding breeds. Gundog folks can be the same way. I've seen SO many people commenting that, for instance, FCRs are so over the top and so hard to train because they are high energy workaholics yet very soft...or that Labs are just impossible and so hard to own because they are crazed energy all day long...field golden, Weims, Vizslak, GSP, etc....in every case they have quite a rep and in every case people within the breed are sure their dogs take the most special and exceptional owners...in reality it's just that they need an owner who's the right match for the breed and individual...just like any dog...and that right match can take many many different forms.
I frequent a Vizsla forum quite often because that is the breed that my husband wants for his hunting dog and I just read a discussion yesterday about how many people have stopped telling people that they are Vizsla's and are now calling them "Hungarian Pointers". They are doing this because people don't educate and just go get the dog because it was pretty and the one they saw was well behaved. Also, a lot of the big time hunters did this to help "maintain the identity" of the breed so they will not fall to the family type dog that the Golden and Lab are today.

I think that when you get to be very passionate about a breed and see people frequently that cannot handle them, you get possessive and tend to exaggerate. I have a feeling this will happen to me when I get my Koolie, however with my Boxer, because she is a family pet, I tell people who are interested "She is great with kids, she is funny, BUT, she does require quite a bit of exercise and can be extremely stubborn."

I know personally I could never have a hound, terrier, or toy dog because my personality doesn't mesh with them. I don't think I could handle one. I feel that if you read all of the "hype", so to say and still think you can stick through it, even better. Not all breeds are the same, not all dogs are the same. It just sucks because the average person doesn't do research before buying/adopting, thus bitterness becomes of it.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/