Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

Question Stopping a dog from "Free-shaping"?

Here's the problem, I made a mistake in training Enda to do the weaves. Needless to say, because of other problems we've been having with them I'm taking her back to square 1! Trouble I'm having, I can't get her to quit free shaping! So here's where I'm at, two sets of two poles, I try to set her up, but them she goes into "Border collie stare" and without me saying a word she rushes out and tries to do them. I don't reward her for free shaping Agility equipment any more, long story short that is how we started on the weaves last year and the technique wasn't working so I quit and put them away for a while and went on to something else. That's not the point of this or the problem, it's irrelevant, the problem is, now that I don't reward her for free shaping them it's become frustrating, for both of us. If I didn't ask her to do them, I don't reward her, turn to the side not looking at her and wait till she comes back, when she does come back she wont look at me just comes back a few feet from me, turns right around and then starts back at the weaves again, but more slowly, she "creeps" towards them. I've tried asking her to heel, which she knows well, but the moment we get near the weaves, she does it again! Focuses on them like sheep and creeps over to them, I stop, wait, sometimes I'll call her back over if she's to far ahead, we're making little progress though. Her fixating on them, not listening and waiting for my command is frustrating me, and my not rewarding her is frustrating her.

I'm going to keep working at this for right now as I ended the paragraph, just heeling her around them, not working on them at all, and rewarding her for focus on ME only. But, does anyone else have any suggestion at all? How do you get a dog to stop free shaping? Besides not rewarding them for it, which isn't working in this case.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Honestly you're on the right track, just start rewarding only when she is asked, begin asking control. Also try adding in a jump prior to the weaves or mix it up with a tunnel before & after, etc.

Both of my dogs have done this. I usually restart Backup by asking him to "through" my leg before shooting him back in and once he realized the weaves got the reward he began blowing off the "through" and reweaving. I rewarded it a bit to not discourage proper weaving but then once I saw he was sure his job in the weaves I began (am beginning, this is all still fresh) requiring he work with me prior to the weaves or I will withhold the reward.

Sloan was the exact same and honestly it just took some time for her as well.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Honestly you're on the right track, just start rewarding only when she is asked, begin asking control. Also try adding in a jump prior to the weaves or mix it up with a tunnel before & after, etc.

Both of my dogs have done this. I usually restart Backup by asking him to "through" my leg before shooting him back in and once he realized the weaves got the reward he began blowing off the "through" and reweaving. I rewarded it a bit to not discourage proper weaving but then once I saw he was sure his job in the weaves I began (am beginning, this is all still fresh) requiring he work with me prior to the weaves or I will withhold the reward.

Sloan was the exact same and honestly it just took some time for her as well.
I'll have to try those things. But one problem with placing other equipment near them at this moment, she by passes them to take the weaves every time! Which is why I have my weaves set up on the other side of the coarse ATM.