Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Wild At Heart

If you went to my school you definitely wouldn't be "archaic"! There are a lot of students older than you attending my college. In all of the classes I've taken (which is quite a few), there is always at least 1 student who is in their 50's. I like it though because they always contribute a different side that younger students wouldn't think of.

I never use my laptop for taking notes, but there are some people who do. It really depends on your preference. While I love using my computer, I tend to pay attention more and take better notes when I'm handwriting them. Most times my professors put notes up on D2L (what we use instead of Blackboard) in either PowerPoint or Word form, but I still take my own notes just to be on the safe side.

I'm sure you'll do fine

Harleigh <3
Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 AM
love herds

I am going back this fall and I am 25, I also had this concern. That was until I went into the school to sign up, I may have actually been the youngest person in the room! Over half of the population of the college is 'mature students' (over 21) and many are approaching middle age. I think it will take a little getting used to to fall back into the rhythm of things and to balance work with school but certainly doable!

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 06-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Big Dog

Thank you both!

I'm leaning more and more towards handwritten notes. My laptop is "newer" but needs a new battery and an overhaul so may not be the best tool to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAshley View Post
I am going back this fall and I am 25, I also had this concern. That was until I went into the school to sign up, I may have actually been the youngest person in the room! Over half of the population of the college is 'mature students' (over 21) and many are approaching middle age. I think it will take a little getting used to to fall back into the rhythm of things and to balance work with school but certainly doable!
When I took my placement test for math and English everyone was basically straight out of high school. I think it was more of a scheduling thing (the college had certain time blocks and days but you could pick from any time or day that was open) and I think more of the younger students wanted Friday morning to get the rest of the day off.

I do remember when I started college in 2002 there were some mature students in my class, but not a whole heck of a lot. But then again, that was during more stable economic times and I think there will be more mature students upgrading skills or switching careers when I start attending.

The work/school balance doesn't really bother me that much. Luckily, I work for a small company and they are willing to keep me on part time and work with my school schedule. I think it will take a little time to get back into the homework/study routine though!

Good luck with your schooling!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Just try me..

I am finishing up my second round of school and I am 36! I went back when I was 31. I generally never have felt old, even with the younger kids around. But then again biochemistry attracts the very diligent and hard working types. Not too much partying going on.