Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post

Also, I saw some photos while googling, of these Dobes with HUGE chests. It just didn't look right to me - it looked... abnormal. I really like how your dogs don't have that look, they seem more proportionate. Is that a show dog thing, a BYB thing... or just preference?
IME that is definitely found in some shows lines but not in all.

Quote:
Interesting on the ears too. These dogs I visited with had been bred - apparently the female had two litters but was now spayed. I highly doubt these people were qualified to do so. They seem into their dogs, pictures of them all over the walls, and obviously well cared for, so I'm not going to judge without knowing them, but anyways... I have to wonder where they got their dogs with such short crops.
More than likely their dogs came from pet breeders, since like most more popular breeds that is where the majority you will run into came from. Pet breeders generally do not crop puppies prior to placement, so they likely had a local vet do the crop. Most local vets seem to do one style of crop on all dogs and it's usually short with a wide base because such a crop is more likely to stand, even if the owners don't totally follow the after care instructions. The longer and more elegant a crop is, the harder it can be to get it to stand. A lot of the cropped pet dogs I have seen that have even a moderate Dobe/Boxer/Dane style crop do not have both ears standing properly. I have also seen some really, really bad local vet crops. Ears that were messed up by the local vet, ears that are uneven or look....just bad on the dog. Which is a reason more serious breeders tend to use a good cropping vet and have all puppies done prior to placement.

Quote:
Honestly, I think the SSA is just the biggest turn off. They would probably be a breed I'd consider way down the road (after Jackson is gone) and I maybe wasn't as into doing doggy things and events. Because with my life now, I really enjoy not worrying about Jackson and being able to take him anywhere and be around any dogs or heck even bring any dog into his house and it be okay.
I wouldn't say those things would be impossible with Dobes. I know people who have Dobes and foster without any issues. Although one did get pretty seriously bitten when a fostered male Dobe decided to take on one of the resident males (all neutered), it was the only major issue in years of fostering with a Dobe. I also know Dobes that are fine at dog parks, multiple dog households, etc. But I know people who have had SSA with Dobes (both in males and in females) too.

I would say though, that if being a friendly, accepting and easy going dog with dogs and people in all circumstances is important to you it would probably be best to avoid most guardian breeds, many but not all of the herders and pretty much the entire terrier group. Not because it is impossible to get a Dobe that would fit what you want but because you'd be better to go with a breed where the things you like in a dog are part of the breed's character and actively being bred for.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Lord Cynical

Huge Chests = not all show lines have these, but it seems like the South American dogs made it more common. I despise pigeon chests, which many people see as correct but really aren't. They're supposed to have deep chests, but not so deep they look like they're deformed in some way. I like my dobes' chests:

Devotion for devotion's sake... GREAT way to describe the breed. It's a key feature.

There are plenty of breeders out there that have a great balance of looks, temperament, health and drive. The trick is just knowing where to look... and in that case, having a good resource who has been in the breed for awhile is your best bet.

I don't want to say SSA is "different" in dobes, because it's not. But it is a bt more complex than what you might think. My dobes are SSA, and yet I can bring dogs into my house and have no issues. I can also take them out in public with no issues. It's.... complicated. LOL. When I have more time, I'll try to explain it more.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

I am in love with Jayne. That is all!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

Good points, Leah! All of them. And I have to say, I loved the blog post you made about the breed recently.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post

I don't want to say SSA is "different" in dobes, because it's not. But it is a bt more complex than what you might think. My dobes are SSA, and yet I can bring dogs into my house and have no issues. I can also take them out in public with no issues. It's.... complicated. LOL. When I have more time, I'll try to explain it more.
My experience with SSA has been in GSDs but my most SSA GSD girl easily went to daycare with me daily, could go to other people's houses and be fine with their dog, never had issues at shows or classes or out and about. To her, most non-family member dogs were not interesting enough to acknowledge. I could bring dogs into the house with her and she was tolerant of bitch puppies she lived with...until a they reached social maturity. It was very specific and involved mature, household dogs. IME with GSDs, girls are more likely to have SSA towards housemates. Males are a mixed bag - some are SSA with only household dogs and some are SSA to male dogs they meet out and about and some are selective about which males they find offensive. True SSA is definitely more complicated than plain old DA, as some very SSA GSD bitches I know have been fine with their kids and grandkids living in the household with them (but do not try to add an "outsider"!). Some SSA dogs have rivals that they will fight to the death with but can be fine with other same sex dogs in the household. Some are fine for years but get into a scuffle that turns into a brawl and they no longer want other same sex dogs to breathe the same air they do. And some are fine with 2,3,4 same sex dogs in the house but add another and suddenly they aren't fine with any of them.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:34 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I don't have Dobe but spend a lot of my time around several of them...two in particular but there's also a rotating crowd lol. Seems like every few weeks I'm standing in a crowd of 4-8 Dobes...

They are a mixed bag of Confo, Companion-sport (agility, obe), and/or Protection bred. I think Toller08 nailed the ones I see pretty well. The protection ones are definitely more aloof, more intense, more likely to apply teeth, and more likely to take offense. The two I know best are confo/sport bred (intended to be multipurpose)...one has her CH and MACH. Really nice dogs. Extremely well socialized and very comfortable with strangers but prefer their owner followed by a few close/repetitive acquaintances. They live in a 3-girl-Dobes household and do well together but their owners have been in the breed for decades and are very good at managing and preventing escalation.

Heart issues seem to be both extremely prevalent and very serious in this breed. I don't know the particulars but it seems like every Dobe person I know IRL loses dogs or retires dogs due to heart problems.

I like the breed a lot to be honest. Have zero interest in owning one, but like the breed a lot lol.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

Regarding the SSA, I fostered a male dobe for a little while that I absolutely would have kept. I think they are great. But, after settling into the household, he showed some concerning behavior especially to the male dogs and that was that. I did a lot of research into the subject and didn't want to end up with a huge problem. He just wasn't comfortable living with all the other dogs too, he definitely wanted one on one attention.

A picture of Bo just for kicks . His ears were horribly done. The previous owner didn't have a clue, kept him tied out on a prong, he had sores on the back of his neck. He went to dobie rescue..
(He drooled a lot, too..)

Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Big Dog

There really isn't anything that I could say that Sizzle and Toller hasn't said already.

I LOVE my doberman. I've been with many different dogs and the dobes always stood out. While I considered a few breeds for my first dog I have never regretted the breed choice that I made. Dobes are so velcro, so sweet, and so attentive - it just kills me (in a good way). My boy is aloof with most people but great with kids. While he is polite and sweet in general he has stood between me and a creepy individual more than once. While the same sex aggression truly isn't something to risk, I have no concerns when I take my (intact) boy out in public and to dog events. That being said, they aren't really dog park dogs. Again, there isn't anything specific about the breed that hasn't been said already. They're phenomenal dogs :]

Dreizehn & Ruthless