Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
I would stick RR and go to a different breeder... be a lot more picky and ask to meet not only parent's but other dogs they've produced. To me the breeder you got him from sounds like they aren't doing a very good job temperament-wise.

I freaking love the pics though. Omg they are awesome dogs! My friend and her mom have a couple (one is a mix) and I just love them. Neither is at all shy. Totally the opposite actually, lol.
Yep! This is great advice!

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Kaydee

I might suggest at least window shopping AmStaffs. Sometimes quite similar facial features to a ridgeback. If you socialize them with other dogs from the beginning they can be quite dog friendly. Easier with puppies, we always got grown dogs and that can be trickier.

Amstaffs are medium sized, they can hike for miles and are happy to flop down and snooze when they get home. N' best of all they are people-pleasers...always watching to see what you want them to do next...
Old 06-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Is he looking for a guard type dog though, or no?

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Kaydee

I'm not sure, I would also call AmStaffs protection dogs even if they aren't technically. My Sophie is medium sized but people clear the sidewalk for her...she doesn't bark or growl or even look at anyone beyond a passing glance. But like they say...other people don't know your dog, especially someone up to no good. They don't know how much that dog is going to protect you, you're safer walking with any good sized canine.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
I would stick RR and go to a different breeder... be a lot more picky and ask to meet not only parent's but other dogs they've produced. To me the breeder you got him from sounds like they aren't doing a very good job temperament-wise.

I freaking love the pics though. Omg they are awesome dogs! My friend and her mom have a couple (one is a mix) and I just love them. Neither is at all shy. Totally the opposite actually, lol.
I am doing this currently! you are right. I didnt take the time i should have to find the BEST breeder. I was in to big of a hurry, but i am so glad i got my boy!

I learned my lesson and I am glad I learned it as easy as a did by getting a dog that I love and can handle, but know could be better. I am sure many people learn that lesson harder and I know some people seem never to learn that lesson.....
Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Active Pup

How about a female RR?
Generally smaller in size (Although my 2 girls are not good examples as they are right around 90 lbs.), same activity level that you're accustomed to (after puppyhood), and generally will be the more domineering of the 2 sexes and may help your boy get past some of his trepidation with new people.

"5. I would like my next dog to be alittle more handler focused. My RR is always watching me and always knows what I am doing, but isnt always interested in pleasing me."

Can't help you with that one. However, a female RR will make you appreciate just how attentive and willing to please your big guy is by comparison. :-)