Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Top Dog

The public schools receive federal funds for their early intervention programs. You need to check into that as soon as you can. He can receive PT, OT, and speech through that sector as well.

I would say the average therapy schedule is 2-3 days a week. Some are able to co-treat (PT and OT or OT and speech), which means they work with him at the same time. But not all insurances or Medicaid services allow for that.

You don't want therapy 5 days a week. He will burn out, get frustrated, and things can (and possibly will) go downhill fast. However, you'll definitely work with him in some form every day of the week.

And good luck with Hippotherapy. I want Cole in it, but it is soooooo expensive. I'm not sure that Medicaid will cover it; I've never heard of them doing so.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Stinky Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
Does anyone know a place where I can get teaching resources for Morgan low cost? Things like Singing Times for Autism and what not?

Id love to start things at home but looking at the prices I just CANT afford it right now .
Check your local library for Signing Times etc and other stuff like that. I have actually checked them out at ours before. I would also check Half Price Books if you have one, and maybe even ebay.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:50 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
The public schools receive federal funds for their early intervention programs. You need to check into that as soon as you can. He can receive PT, OT, and speech through that sector as well.

I would say the average therapy schedule is 2-3 days a week. Some are able to co-treat (PT and OT or OT and speech), which means they work with him at the same time. But not all insurances or Medicaid services allow for that.

You don't want therapy 5 days a week. He will burn out, get frustrated, and things can (and possibly will) go downhill fast. However, you'll definitely work with him in some form every day of the week.

And good luck with Hippotherapy. I want Cole in it, but it is soooooo expensive. I'm not sure that Medicaid will cover it; I've never heard of them doing so.
Ive read if you go just the riding classes meant for disabled children its cheaper but you still get alot of the same benefit. We have a program here so Im going to call them and see at least. We plan on working on the basics at home like PECS and what not but thats ONGOING constantly. Plus random "therapy" and what not from our family friend who is honestly just as tuned into him as I am that its scary Shes texted me before right in the middle of the meltdown "give my little man a hug for me I know he can use it" without me having said a word to her. He will be in Early Intervention asap and I got his evaluation report today so that will DEFINATLY help.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 06-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

((hugs)) I have friends with autistic children from very mild to extreme end of the spectrum.. so I somewhat understand what parents of autistic children are going through & the extra works they'd have to do in comparision to those raising a normal child. I always admire my friends' devotion/involvement/hardworks in autism related treatment/therapy for their children which makes a whole lots of difference in their children's lives.

I wish you the best of luck. I'll be keeping you, Morgan in my thought & prayers. May God keep him & protect him and provide you enough strength and support to take care of him & his special needs.

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Don't forget those hugs for his Mommy too xxx

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's Mommy View Post
((hugs)) I have friends with autistic children from very mild to extreme end of the spectrum.. so I somewhat understand what parents of autistic children are going through & the extra works they'd have to do in comparision to those raising a normal child. I always admire my friends' devotion/involvement/hardworks in autism related treatment/therapy for their children which makes a whole lots of difference in their children's lives.

I wish you the best of luck. I'll be keeping you, Morgan in my thought & prayers. May God keep him & protect him and provide you enough strength and support to take care of him & his special needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
Don't forget those hugs for his Mommy too xxx
Thanks guys. Ive been talking to some other Moms with autistic kids and like i said lots of special ed teachers two who are also helpers for special education kids at home. Im thinking I really cant afford to work and raise him. I am going to have to figure out HOW to work from home and support us. Whatever it takes though he will have what he needs. Him and I are lucky as he seems to be high functioning at this point. Hopefully one day he will be able to live the life his father leads without the problems he has. His father has graduated college (2 programs), held long term jobs, has children and for the most part is a great father, just doesnt quite make it as a husband sometimes and that is all because of things that we can help Morgan with.

I wouldnt change my son for the world. I love him for how he is disability and all and thats all that counts. As long as we have that we can get through anything together him and I.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

I hope you can figure this out bre. Staying home has always been a dream of mine , but we just cant swing it.

Good luck and if you find any legit work at homes pass them along. Morgan is in capable hands with you!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 PM
We are Home.

I definatly will! My mom and I are starting a at home buisness that I can do it ALL from home and HOPEFULLY help quite a bit. I have one WAH job lined up hopefully not making much but enough to at least start and for the little hours I can add something else. Im also about to go back to school from home not for something I will really enjoy but will support my family.