Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

And again, it's not about IF it works. It's about WHY it works and the possible repersussions of the action. I have never met an aversive or punishment based trainer who would be ok with you hitting your dog.

And sorry OP as this has gotten derailed. There is a lot of great advice in the thread though.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
If you haven’t already, also look in to things like doggy zen (or “its yer choice”), go crazy freeze, and crate games. All of this is about building impulse control in young dogs. (Works for old dogs too.) Its not related to this specific zoomie problem, but building impulse control in a separate area will spill over in to all areas where the dog need to learn to control herself.
I enthusiastically second this.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
Daneified, thanks alot too! it looks great - we'll need to take it few steps at a time though as Kat is still quite, erm, wild LOL and totally impulse control is something that I absolutely want to implement in her training regimes.

A note about the physical punishment/abuse stuff;

I was hit, smacked around and kicked quite alot during my upbringing - personally I have to say I would have preferred understanding what it was that I did that was undesirable rather than just having cans of whoopass opened up on me randomly - which was what happened. But I haven't "lashed" out at anyone physically ever either. I'm for discipline not punishment - especially in dogs/pets.

I think in general hitting isn't a good idea at all - I understand everyone has a limit of course and puppies can aggravate it quite abit which can result in incidents of hitting (hopefully that do not reoccur after); but it shouldn't be actively practiced/made a routine of IMO. Just saying.

The closest thing to hitting Kat has been subjected to was a swat across the face with a envelope once after she chewed through a friend's television set wire when we weren't supervising her. She wasn't phased by it at all....she just sat there grinning like a happy idiot
I agree with this post. I do not wildly just smack my dogs, which seems to be the way this is being interpreted...

I smack to show bad behavior, and then mark and reward good behavior immediately after. I show them what they should be doing instead, every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
And again, it's not about IF it works. It's about WHY it works and the possible repersussions of the action. I have never met an aversive or punishment based trainer who would be ok with you hitting your dog.

And sorry OP as this has gotten derailed. There is a lot of great advice in the thread though.
I do know why it CAN work. I know when not applied correctly, it can cause a dog to repress certain behaviors out of fear and ruin relationship and cause backlash later. That is NOT what I do with my dogs. Let me give an example...

If my RR were to crawl onto bed and not listen to vocal corrections, I pop his nose, put him on the floor, and then reward him. Then I ask him onto the bed, tell him down, and reward him for listening. I never correct bad behavior without also rewarding good ones. Always replace bad behavior with good and teach them what they SHOULD be doing.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

Again, every aversive trainer I have worked with or talked to would be aghast st you usin your hands, at you hitting. The correction should not be associated With YOU
Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Again, every aversive trainer I have worked with or talked to would be aghast st you usin your hands, at you hitting. The correction should not be associated With YOU
I don't agree with that, but then again no two trainers agree on everything.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-10-2012, 09:41 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
And again, it's not about IF it works. It's about WHY it works and the possible repersussions of the action.
I agree so much with this... I'm not going to claim that punishments do not work to suppress the behavior. But they often fail to address the causation behind that behavior, and punishments do not come without risks. When you weigh the benefits of punishment with the possibility of WORSE reprecussions, it's just not worth it, to me.

Danefield, super good post!!! Puppy zen is such a good idea for any puppy.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
If my RR were to crawl onto bed and not listen to vocal corrections, I pop his nose, put him on the floor, and then reward him. Then I ask him onto the bed, tell him down, and reward him for listening. I never correct bad behavior without also rewarding good ones. Always replace bad behavior with good and teach them what they SHOULD be doing.
But why pop him on his nose? Why not just skip that step, and just put him on the floor?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
But why pop him on his nose? Why not just skip that step, and just put him on the floor?
Because he physically resists me and then tries to force his way up again. I'm not as strong as my RR is. Lol. He only pays attention to me when I pop him. And guess what? No bad effects.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Top Dog

Are you trying to teach him "off" or to not get on the bed?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Are you trying to teach him "off" or to not get on the bed?
Off.

Lol, please PM me. I reeeeeally don't want this thread to derail in attempts to teach me how to train my dog. No offense or disrespect meant. Just don't like things getting so personal, if that makes sense?